Role details

Deputy Chief Technology Officer / Head of Software Engineering

London   •  Permanent

Bullet points

  • A London based technology startup seeks a Deputy CTO (DCTO) / Head of Software E
  • Python, Machine Learning, Data Science,

About Our Client

Deputy Chief Technology Officer (DCTO) / Head of Software Engineering - Technology Startup - London

A rapidly growing company offering a dynamic environment for talented and motivated individuals seeking to do something different.

The client product is a cloud based marketplace for full depth limit order book data and analytics. The company was founded to enable a more efficient value extraction process from this large and complex data set.

The clients data coverage includes financial markets, sports markets and e-commerce. Their software and services are used in markets around the globe and around the clock.

The model is unique, their data sets are large and their analytics and systems are cutting edge.

Job Description

Deputy Chief Technology Officer (DCTO) / Head of Software Engineering - Technology Startup - London

Under direction of the CTO, the DCTO shall be responsible for information technology planning, coordination, and adherence to technical architecture. This will involve working closely with the CTO and the project R&D manager to set and meet deadlines for releases.

The development team structure comprises of the management team (CTO, DCTO and project manager) and four groups, each with a team leader: Backend, frontend, data science and data security. Your skills may fall into one or more of these groups, with the commonality being extremely strong Python skills. It is envisaged that upwards of 90% of the DCTO time will be spend on development in one or more of the four teams, as their skillset dictates. The remaining 10% will be spent on issues relating to hiring new staff, managing existing staff, managing the development process and liaising with parties external to the development team.

The technologies in use include,

  • Python 3.4
  • Public cloud (AWS/GCP)
  • SQL and NoSQL (PostgreSql and Redis) databases
  • RESTful JSON web services
  • Github
  • Ansible and Docker
  • JavaScript
  • AngularJS
  • D3.JS
  • HTML5/CSS3

The Successful Applicant

Deputy Chief Technology Officer (DCTO) / Head of Software Engineering - Technology Startup - London

First and foremost you will be a technical expert. Your knowledge and experience in problem solving in industry will enable you to provide leadership to developers from graduate level upwards. You will have worked in a leading firm in industry applying your skills as a developer and learning best practice. You are now keen to move away from a large corporate entity and start building your career as a manager. You value the technical and intellectual challenges that come from joining a small company intensively building an extremely novel product. The cultural fit of a small company appeals to you and the task of mentoring highly educated and motivated juniors excites you.

Must Have

  • PhD in a hard science (engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics) from a leading university
  • Exceptionally strong Python, JavaScript and all round development skills
  • Ten years plus in the workplace as a developer
  • Management experience for teams of developers

Highly Beneficial

  • Cloud computing experience, for example AWS or GCP
  • Experience with financial data
  • Experience in the financial services sector
  • Experience of distributed computing
  • Experience with web-scale datasets

What's on Offer

Deputy Chief Technology Officer (DCTO) / Head of Software Engineering - Technology Startup - London

Competitive Salary DOE plus equity options

Apply for this job

Click the Apply or LinkedIn button below or contact Matt Clayson on +44 2072 69 2587 quoting job reference 13477684
As you are using an Apple iOS device we are unable to offer you the CV upload function. Please apply with your Linkedin profile below or contact Matt Clayson on +44 2072 69 2587 quoting job reference 13477684