You are here
Head of Technical
Head of Techncial required for a leading HA with significant pipeline
Timber frame and trad build experience essential
About Our Client
Head of Technical, Building and Construction
Leading UK HA with c. 40,000 homes across the London and the South.
The group is committed to a significant development pipeline with a target of 1500 homes for 2017.
Head of Technical, Building and Construction
- To manage the technical element of all project plans/briefs being managed by the team/region, ensuring full technical drawing packages, details and project plans are available at site commencement.
- Ensure the department provide detailed technical assessments/reports and advice for all land acquisition, compile the necessary reports for inclusion in pre-purchase reports and due diligence, liaising with consultants when appropriate.
- To manage and prepare the more complex and larger technical briefs to commercial/ build/construction, obtain quotations, prepare legal packs, conveyancing plans and appoint all necessary consultants ensuring they provide timely, accurate and cost effective packages.
- To source, appoint and manage all architects for working drawings (as well as civil and structural engineers), in readiness for building/development. Ensure all necessary consultants comply with the relevant building and health and safety regulations.
- To maintain and update records of design, including drawings, registers and reports throughout the design stage and take responsibility for checking and issuing the sub-contract drawings for all internal features and room layouts.
- To be responsible for all technical budgets for each development.
- To ensure all Key dates Schedules produced by the team are technically realistic and efficient for the build/development programme.
- Chair project team meetings as and when required.
- To visit sites as and when necessary during the pre-purchase, design and construction stages.
- Obtain demolition licences when required, arrange for necessary service disconnections and surveys are completed in a timely, accurate and cost effective way.
- To maintain and keep up to date all technical records/information including registers, drawings, pre-construction health and safety reports, making them readily available for site inspections.
- To lead on the review and development of the departmental processes and guidelines, implanting innovative and effective solutions (where effective and commercially viable) which improve knowledge and service delivery.
- To proactively liaise, support and work closely with colleagues, senior Managers and Directors to ensure the technical requirements are integrated within the planning and development of all major projects.
- To advise on, incorporate into development design and be responsible for, keeping up to date on legislative and building regulation changes as well as CDM (or any equivalents/successors) and Health and Safety.
- To research, investigate and provide feedback to the business on all new commercially viable building products and systems that could improve processes/be of benefit to delivery and that may present opportunities for cost savings, value engineering and differentiation with our competitors.
- To assist and advise the strategic land team on delivery of infrastructure/serviced land in readiness for development or disposal.
- To assist the estimator in the preparation of construction costs and budgets.
- Have overall responsibility for the issuing of all appropriate health and safety packs, ensuring the build complies with all health and safety regulations, managing planning conditions, arranging and monitoring the section 106 process, coordinating submissions for Section 38/278 agreements, procuring, checking and issuing of all heating and hot water layouts, ensure all necessary third party consents and warranties are obtained in a timely manner.
The Successful Applicant
Qualifications / training:
- Educated to GCSE level or equivalent in Maths & English (Grades A* - C)
- OND/HNC or equivalent in Building Studies.
- Building Degree or Member of a Professional design body (eg; RIBA MCIAT, MICE) in the Building industry
Knowledge / Skills:
- An understanding of the range and complexity of issues that will impact upon a large scale residential construction project.
- Working knowledge of project management principles.
- Ability to use spread sheets, databases and other computer applications.
- Ability to interpret legal and regulatory documents in relation to construction and building regulations.
- A sound working knowledge of Housing Corporation Scheme Development Standards and Scheme work Procedures
- Substantial experience of Private Property development and process.
- Experience of difference construction methods process.
- Experience of dealing and negotiating with multiple contractors and consultants.
- Experience of various sized residential schemes.
- A strong team player with the ability to work autonomously as well as function as part of a wider team
What's on Offer
My client is offering a base salary of £80,000 plus car, benefits and 30% discretionary bonus.