You are here
Health & Safety Manager
- Maintain and Improve ISO 18001 and 14001
- Ability to drive a safety culture
About Our Client
Michael Page are in partnership with a successful, well established heavy Manufacturing business based in Peterborough. Our client are known for their high quality and provide expert designing and manufacturing skills to create products covering a range of industries worldwide. The successful applicant will be a Health and Safety Professional who can continue to drive and improve the culture through a proactive, engaging approach and focus on a zero accident mentality.
The Health, Safety and Environment Manager's role is a key position within the Company and is responsible for providing strategic and technical direction and leadership to the functional areas to ensure sustained and continuous improvements in HSE performance and compliance.
The key responsibilities for the Health and Safety Manager role will be:
- Provide expert guidance, professional advice, support and assistance on all Health, Safety and Environmental matters, giving on-the-spot guidance and prompt action where necessary in order to allow the client to meet its moral, legal and corporate obligations.
- Agree annual plans with Senior Management that define improvement targets and detail the enabling action and work programmes necessary for their achievement. Develop and implement measures to track progress against objectives and targets and recommend corrective actions to the Management team when appropriate. Compile and evaluate incident statistics & HSE metrics to identify trends to target risk reduction strategies.
- Identify and promote methods that build employee engagement and direct involvement in Health & Safety in order to proactively shape collective and individual risk perception and continuously increase risk free behaviour.
- Responsible for conducting and auditing risk assessments, accident investigations and delivering took box talks
- Lead site HSE initiatives (as appropriate).
- Identify training requirements, produce and where appropriate deliver training packages on relevant technical subjects, at all levels.
- Assist and support operational personnel in safety and environmental hazard assessment and implementation of effective control measures.
- Assess the impact of external influences on Health and Safety processes in order to recommend and develop changes to the business management system and procedures to ensure the continuous reduction of risk, injury and loss.
- To understand the different HSE requirements across the organisation in relation to function (i.e. Manufacturing and Field Service), role (office based, remote, factory) and workforce demographics and to work collaboratively with Managers to manage their HSE requirements.
- To maintain our clients Environmental Management system, ensuring continuous certification to ISO 14001 whilst developing in line with changes (ISO14001:2015).
- To maintain our clients Health and Safety Management system, ensuring continuous certification (currently certified to OHSAS 18001) whilst developing in line with changes (ISO45001).
- Develop the HSE management systems to incorporate all aftermarket activities including leading inspections, HSE training and audits at customers sites.
This role is a single site role based on site in Peterborough, however you may be required to travel to other group facilities to support with their HSE requirements and to work on group initiatives. This role may also require additional travel within the UK and internationally from time to time.
The Successful Applicant
The position requires an effective organiser with strong influencing skills and a commitment to continuous improvement. Expert knowledge of health and safety process and underpinning legislation applicable to heavy industry manufacturing environments.
The successful candidate for the Health and Safety Manager role will have:
- Working towards a HSE Qualification (NEBOSH Diploma/Degree) is preferred.
- Health and Safety Qualified (NEBOSH Certificate minimum) is absolutely necessary.
- Technical Member of IOSH is necessary.
- Experience of working with the HSE and other governing bodies.
- Experience in Heavy Manufacturing Environment.
- Experience in the management of incidents.
- High communication ability.
- Experience in Audit protocols (including thorough knowledge of COSHH controls and legislation).
- Knowledgeable in implementing, managing and improving HSE management systems.
What's on Offer
A competitive salary with an attractive package is on offer for the right candidate.