You are here
Interim VAT Manager, Education £200 - £300 p/d
£200 - £300
- Leading University
- Mixed compliance & advisory role
About Our Client
One of Europe's largest universities, based in Central London.
Please contact for further details.
- To maintain and develop specialist tax knowledge in relation to VAT and gift aid to ensure ability to provide advice on complex tax matters to staff across the university. Responsible for provision of professional advice in relation to VAT matters, responding to questions from staff at all levels throughout the University by working collaboratively, providing clear and appropriate guidance (both orally and in writing), explaining complex technical matters relating to VAT in a way that non finance staff can understand.
- To ensure advice is in accordance with relevant VAT legislation and also with financial procedures and to work collaboratively with other teams in finance to ensure the client receives a rounded response by developing suitable policies and procedures where needed to support the advice given.
- To provide detailed specialist advice to senior Business Managers across the university on complex VAT matters including international tax implications of planned activities. To work with them to structure suitable VAT strategies to meet developing operational needs while ensuring tax risks are managed effectively and that the university is compliant for tax purposes
- To read and review complex legal contracts entered into by the University, identifying any issues relating to VAT and other taxes in relation to implementation of the proposed arrangements. To provide advice in this respect to the Legal team and managers on the most suitable tax structure, ensuring tax risks are minimised and managed effectively.
- To manage effectively the caseload of VAT queries received (approx. 300-400 per annum) ensuring a timely response to staff raising queries and put in place suitable systems and procedures to enable effective monitoring of progress to completion with a suitable audit trail maintained for future reference.
- To undertake complex and detailed analysis of information from ABW and other sources, using advanced spreadsheet skills, to ensure information for use in regular and/or ad hoc reports to HMRC is robust and accurate. Analysis to include application of expert knowledge in relation to complex VAT legislation to identify any issues with the source data and to rectify them for the purposes of reporting, as well as instigating follow up action to put in place suitable policies and procedures for the future so that errors are minimised.
- Responsible for daily review and approval of commercial sales invoices prior to issue (approx. 4,000 per annum) to ensure correct VAT liability, investigating any discrepancies by following up with originator to ensure the associated contracts are in line with the invoicing. To read, review and, where appropriate, challenge the structures in place where VAT issues have arisen.
- Responsible for preparation of quarterly EC Sales list, extracting necessary information from ABW and reviewing to ensure it is robust before submission to HMRC. Maintain suitable supporting documents for audit purposes
- Lead on preparation of the quarterly VAT return figures, including the annual adjustment and capital goods scheme, ensuring all VAT reports from ABW are reviewed for exceptions, where necessary corrections are made, and that the final data is robust and provides a proper audit trail. To submit return in line with due deadlines and ensure reported figures, including all reverse charge VAT entries, are reflected in ABW promptly once the VAT return has been completed.
- Responsible for managing the HMRC on-line portal arrangements/access and for ensuring effective use as our primary means of reporting to HMRC. Monitor any developments to take advantage of improvements in the way requests can be submitted to HMRC eg. recent addition of on-line applications for certificates of residency.
The Successful Applicant
Candidates will need to have:
- Experience in VAT
- Understanding of / Experience with Accounts/Finance
- Understanding of /Exposure to Partial Exemptions
- Good communication skills
What's on Offer
£200 - £300 p/d