You are here
Magento Developer - Frontend or Backend Developer
About Our Client
About Gene Commerce:
Gene Commerce is a rapidly growing organisation in Brighton developing Enterprise level Magento platforms for some market-leading clients.
As a key member of the development team, you will play a key part in this. You will be working with the Head of Development and Senior Developers to code robust OO PHP.
Gene are passionate about building the best solutions on the market, and re-writing best practice along the way. Our biggest strength is our people; whether you're Magento Plus Certified, a brilliant PHP developer, or you have that je ne sais quoi, we want to hear from you. You'll have a commercial hunger, a passion for personal development and an keen interest in shaping the future of our business.
Why work for us?
As part of the Gene Commerce team you will have the opportunity to pitch business proposals to the board and shareholders, who will vote on the best ideas to be realised by the business. Previous successful examples include the opening of an international office and the running of a full ecommerce website (which was purchased by the business on behalf of the employee and is used as a test-bed for experimental products).
- Opportunity to positively influence key stakeholders and drive through business-critical innovations in an open environment
- Huge scope for personal development
- Invitation to become a shareholder after 2 years' tenure
- Invitation to board meetings as a shareholder
- Cutting edge practices
- Excellent development opportunities and scope for promotion as the team grows
- Exceptional opportunity to work in a close-knit team, genuinely innovating the Magento industry and disrupting perceived best practice
- Be part of a team that will work on key projects and produce great work
- Be part of a team that is at the forefront of digital innovation in the industry
- Have a say in how the business is run and how things are done
You would be responsible for:
- Full development life-cycle from planning to coding delivery
- Software development of custom modules following Magento best practice
- Providing accurate timing estimates on work
- Creating the company development standards, working closely with the Head of Development
- Discussing technical solutions with clients and providing innovative new solutions
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market and position yourself and the company as an ecommerce specialist
- Constantly seeking to develop yourself by learning new technologies and keeping abreast of your markets developments
The Successful Applicant
- Brilliant PHP Developer or Magento Developer
- Looking for the opportunity to forge a career
- Looking to make a difference
What's on Offer
Some thoughts from the Gene Brand Book:
"From the start, we decided to create an employee-owned structure to attract and retain the best talent. This means that everyone at Gene is treated equally, benefits from our success, and is motivated to deliver the best results for our clients.
And to make sure our success doesn't breed complacency, we regularly meet up to openly discuss what's good, what's not so good, and what needs to be better. It's a different way of working, and it makes us different from other ecommerce agencies.
The Gene Academy is an outreach programme set up to give back to the community and encourage sustainable and organic growth. Ask any ecommerce agency and they'll tell you that finding good Magento developers is a big challenge. So we paired up with local colleges and the National Apprenticeship Scheme to offer real-world training for students - improving their chances of employment by teaching valuable coding skills, giving them access to digital careers, and the opportunity to become certified Magento developers.
The Gene Pool influences every corner of our client work by inspiring everyone at Gene to think like entrepreneurs and business owners. An incubator for innovation and a hotbed for creative thinking, our monthly meetings give everyone the chance to present entrepreneurial ecommerce-related ideas, and potentially develop them into successful new ventures with help from Gene resources and funding.
So far, we have supported employees in launching a profitable online golf clothing business as well as developing a groundbreaking software firm, Udder Digital. Both businesses have provided us with a valuable platform to field-test ideas (such as an innovative review system and new tablet technology) before offering them to clients.
Most of all we believe in putting our hearts and souls into everything we do. We only employ people who are passionate about what they do, and we encourage them to share their passion and expertise with our clients - so it's not unusual to see our apprentices attending client meetings alongside directors and CEOs".