You are here
Rights of Light Executive
- The opportunity to specialise in a niche sector of commercial property
- Expanding division of an established and independent Manchester property advisor
About Our Client
Gray Scanlan Hill is an independent Manchester city centre-based Building Surveying practice operating throughout the UK. Its Directors and staff bring together a wealth of market-leading experience with a refreshing ethos. They have an outlook that is not just about doing a job, it's about being interested enough to enjoy it and do it well, consistently. Quality and professional pride underpins the practice.
With a diverse range of clients, that includes landlords, property occupiers, investors and property developers, they provide considered, high quality professional services and advice to align with their diverse property-related business needs. Being independent, Gray Scanlan Hill are free from the inherent conflicts often associated with multi-disciplinary practices; the advice their clients receive is always impartial and with their best interests in mind.
Gray Scanlan Hill incorporates a specialist "neighbourly matters" consultancy, providing day-to-day, high level strategic advice on rights of light, daylight and sunlight amenity impacts, party walls and access to land. A high proportion of their clients are commercial property developers along with a number of the region's leading planning consultants, architects and project managers. Owing to an already high and increasing pipeline of activity they are seeking to appoint a Rights of Light Executive to form part of their rights of light and daylight & sunlight advisory.
This is an excellent opportunity to get involved with a now well established and expanding business and to learn and/or develop an understanding of a legally complex, and increasingly topical, area of real estate and property development consultancy.
You will be working on a number of commercial property developments, predominantly in the North of England, for property developer clients with a proven track record of delivery, and alongside some of the region's leading architects and planning consultants.
The role of Rights of Light Executive will involve:
- Undertaking site inspections
- Reviewing of development proposals / architect's drawings
- Land registry searches
- Research and review of legal agreements / deeds
- Researching planning archives
- Briefing the technical team for the production of 3D massing simulations and technical analysis using bespoke computer software for light related calculations.
- Reviewing and interpretation of the technical analysis results.
- Writing of technical rights of light reports
- Writing of technical BRE daylight and sunlight reports and Environmental Statement Chapters
For the already experienced, this role will ordinarily be client facing, and will extend to the direct presentation of advice with high level client exposure, and in the context of rights of light, the negotiation of compensation settlements. For the lesser experienced, this will develop as experience is gained. The level of autonomy associated with the role will also depend on (and increase with) experience.
The Successful Applicant
To be considered for the role of Rights of Light Executive you will preferably have some experience of rights of light / daylight & sunlight consultancy. Alternatively, you will have a demonstrable interest in the subject matter - this would be an opportunity to develop that interest into skills, practical knowledge and expertise.
In conjunction with the desire to specialise, you will have:
- A property advisory background (preferred but not essential).
- A core degree qualification in a relevant subject area such a Geography, Building Surveying, Real Estate, Engineering or Law.
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to confidently and clearly express advice and opinions and be convincing in doing so.
- Strong and structured report writing skills.
- Good organisation skills, with the ability to manage and prioritise a number of client commissions at any one time.
- A career plan to establish yourself as one of a select and recognised few operating in the neighbourly matters field both locally and nationally.
What's on Offer
The role of Rights of Light Executive is an excellent opportunity to forge a career in an interesting and legally orientated discipline of building surveying and commercial real estate advisory.
For an established operator, or an aspiring professional, the position offers:
- Comprehensive training and guidance as is necessary.
- A competitive salary, experience dependant, plus benefits.
- IPhone, laptop and the ability for some degree of flexible working.
For a further confidential discussion, please contact Christian Lawrence MRICS, Michael Page Property on 0161-8290392 or submit your CV as below.
All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.