You are here
Are you an existing Senior Buyer or Buying Manager looking for the next step?
Do you have experience working within an FMCG business?
About Our Client
Based in North West London, this is a well-established, market leader in its sector, offering a variety of products and boasting a large portfolio of successful stores across the UK.
This Trading Controller role is an excellent opportunity for an accomplished retail buying professional looking for a role offering a mixture of strategy, leadership and buying. You will currently be operating in a Senior Buyer / Buying Manager level position for a leading retailer and be able to demonstrate the required gravitas and credibility for the position.
The principle accountabilities will be to:
- assist the recruitment, induction, training, development and management of Trading team members as appropriate to support the delivery of the trading area's strategy and plan
- identify, source, and develop consumer facing own-label products and ranges to meet customer needs and business requirements which meet brand and commercial requirements, including availability levels, and which increase overall sales and participation. (n.b. this also includes branded products for frozen and wine categories)
- develop, review and deliver national terms agreements and effective negotiations with suppliers on cost price (as RDCs are accountable for retail price) ensuring cost price is minimised, income is maximised, risk minimised and relevant benchmarks are applied to all cost prices; branded and own brand
- manage and implement 'step change' projects which will increase income as decided by the business and influence RDCs buy in to the proposed changes
- build effective relationship with the RDCs/suppliers and other key stakeholders to deliver the trading area's plan and ensure that all stakeholders are communicated with and informed appropriately and effectively at all times
- review, track and analyse the market both in terms of trends and competitor activity ensuring the business' trading area's plan and team exploit the opportunities whilst risks and threats are mitigated
- plan, negotiate and deliver the trading budgets with specific responsibility for the tracking, monitoring and delivery of the specific area's trading budget including income (for all income streams), cost price and overall performance
- deliver appropriate stock levels via the bonded warehouse operation to meet RDCs' forecasts, ensuring minimum impact on aged stock (Licensed area only)
The Successful Applicant
In order to be successful for the role of Trading Controller you will already be operating in a Senior Buyer / Buying Manager level position for a leading retailer and be able to demonstrate the following skills and experience:
- Proven experience of developing and delivering a trading strategy for key product area within a FMCG organisation maintaining and building the category/brand
- Proven experience of communicating, negotiating and managing a large supplier base achieving measurable benefits and objectives
- Proven experience of influencing individuals and groups with differing needs for whom there is no authority
- Proven experience of reviewing, understanding and analysing of market information for a given product area and planning of how to react successfully in given conditions
- Proven experience of planning and managing a product range to budget and brand requirements
You will also have/possess:
- Customer focus
- Planning and organising skills
- Team-playing attitude
- Commercial awareness
- Communication skills including influencing and particularly through written methods
- Self-motivation and resilience
- Decision making ability, as well as quick and accurate judgement
What's on Offer
In return you will receive a competitive base salary and a comprehensive range of benefits including, performance related bonus, company car or generous allowance, free gym membership and pension.