You are here
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
We are an Executive Agency of the Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC).
Our mission is to improve patient health by enabling the earliest access and high-quality supply of safe, effective, and innovative medicines and healthcare products. We have a vision to be a global exemplar in public health and patient safety, enabled through regulation, and at the forefront of innovation.
We are responsible for:
- ensuring that medicines, medical devices and blood components for transfusion meet applicable standards of safety, quality and efficacy;
- ensuring that the supply chain for medicines, medical devices and blood components is safe and secure; promoting international standardisation and harmonisation to assure the effectiveness and safety of biological medicines;
- helping to educate the public and healthcare professionals about the risks and benefits of medicines, medical devices and blood components, leading to safer and more effective use;
- supporting innovation and research and development that’s beneficial to public health; and
- influencing UK, EU and international regulatory frameworks so that they’re risk-proportionate and effective at protecting public health.
We are driving forward a substantial strategic change at the Agency. In part, this responds to the need to develop a new regulatory model as the UK exits the European Union. But this also reflects a new focus on engaging with patients, enabling patient access to new innovative medicines and devices, and providing a speedier response to risks to public health and patient safety.
Our diverse staff includes some of the best medical and scientific experts in the world; supported by a wide range of corporate professionals working across our three business centres:
- the MHRA regulatory centre;
- the National Institute for Biological Standards and Control (NIBSC); and
- the Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD).
We are a warm and welcoming place, where there’s a strong commitment to making patients’ lives better. We are creative and open to new ideas, work flexibly and closely together, trusting each other to take measured risks and constructively challenging things if we don’t agree.
Our values guiding the behaviours of our employees are:
- We focus outwards on patients and public.
- We work together with respect
- We take responsibility and are accountable
Why Join Our Finance Team?
We aim to put Finance at the heart of decision making at the Agency, by moving beyond the traditional role of historical reporting, and ensuring transparency and accountability in our accounts. To achieve this the Finance team is going through a transformational change. The transformation aims to support the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency to become more strategic in managing its resources effectively and efficiently, by offering financial insight and business partnering capabilities, along with robust planning, risk and assurance activities. We have also delivered a new Finance team structure to improve the quality of service to our internal and external customers.
The focus of Finance transformation is on simplifying and streamlining our processes, and developing capability in the team to provide strategic foresight and decision support to ensure public funds are spent wisely and support the delivery of high-quality public services.
We are looking for skilled finance professionals to join us on this ambitious and exciting journey. To make your mark in this new and dynamic environment, you will need to put your ideas, knowledge and skills to the test; reviewing the way things are done and improving them.
What we offer you
All of our staff receive the following benefits:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays rising by 1 day for each completed year of service to a maximum of 30
- Civil Service Pension Scheme
- flexible working to ensure staff maintain a healthy work-life balance
- interest-free season ticket loan or bike loan
- CoreCare – employee assistance services and access to the Civil Service Benevolent Fund
- eligibility to join the Civil Service Motoring Association (CSMA)
- variety of staff and civil service clubs
- on-going learning and development
- childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
- discounted rate with Benenden insurance
We realise the importance of a life outside work and promote a healthy work-life balance for all our staff.
In addition, we understand that many of our staff have young children or other dependents and we endeavor to provide flexible working in line with our policies wherever possible, while ensuring that the needs of the business are met.
Learning and Development
We are committed to providing learning and development for our staff. As part of this commitment, we provide access to a curriculum of courses that are available in-house or via the Civil Service Learning portal. In addition, staff are able to (with manager’s approval) take up external courses such as Degrees, Diplomas, or MSc courses.
Our commitment is also evident in the Continued Professional Development programmes we facilitate each month to continuously boost skills and knowledge, and further develop talent in the Agency.