Assistant Estates Surveyor - Stevenage
Become a Senior Surveyor in the next 9 - 12 months
Manage and grow income from the Council's commercial property portfolio.
About Our Client
Looking for an Assistant Estates Surveyor to join a local authority based in Stevenage immediately. You will be working with the Senior Estates Surveyor managing the Council's commercial property portfolio efficiently and effectively and within the bounds of good estate management. Work on some of the UKs most exciting construction projects, in a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges, as well as maximise quality of service and profitability on the scheme.
The post holder will play a strong role in supporting the Senior Estates Surveyor in the following key areas:
- Supporting the management of the Council's commercial property portfolio of shops, industrial units, ground rented properties and other non-housing assets - marketing and letting vacant units, negotiating rent reviews and lease renewals, dealing with tenancy issues and maintenance issues, taking action in respect of rent arrears, service charges and ensuring that budgets are met.
- Negotiating licences, grant of easement and way leave agreements.
- Monitoring expenditure within the Estates Service budgets, particularly those relating to the commercial property portfolio.
- Liaising with external agents / consultants who carry out a range of work on the Council's behalf, including rent reviews and lease renewals, rating appeals, lettings to telecommunications companies, and disposals - ensuring that they meet targets, and agreeing terms.
- To play a key role in the management and maintenance of the Council's property data management system and ensure that records are stored properly and up to date.
- Supporting a range of corporate projects, such as corporate landlord, Locality area reviews, working with officers from other Council services where required.
The Successful Applicant
- Ability to negotiate commercial deals including rent reviews and lease renewals
- Good working knowledge of Landlord and Tenant law, and valuation methodology
- Able to manage own workload and demonstrate good time management skills
- Preferably a chartered Surveyor and needs to be a driver with own vehicle available for work use
- Good interpersonal skills - able to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to develop effective internal and external working relationships
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Good attention to detail and numeracy skills
- Able to present, interpret and analyse statistical data
- Good letter and report writing skills
- Able to work under reasonable pressure
- Understanding of budget management
- Proven experience in valuations and Estate Management
- Good general experience of working in a team and dealing with a variety of people
- A commitment to Continuing Professional Development
What's on Offer
Great opportunity to work on some of the UK's most exciting projects offering you stability as well as the chance to stretch your capabilities and realise long held career goals. You will be joining diverse teams working at a high professional level with a competitive industry daily rate.