Business Development Manager
National Centre of Applied Research and Development
Two exciting roles to match external partners to new R&D opportunities
About Our Client
The Medicines Discovery Catapult is an independent not-for-profit company established by Innovate UK, an agency of the UK government. They are part of a network of world-leading centres designed to transform the UK's capability for innovation in specific areas and help drive future economic growth. They do this by providing access to expert technical capabilities, equipment and other resources required to take innovation ideas from concept to reality. Their leadership team brings together decades of broad management and technical expertise from across our industrial sectors and disciplines. The team specialises in areas of science, technology, collaboration and understand the needs of SMEs, pharma companies, service providers, charities and investors.
The Medicines Discovery Catapult aim to help UK SME Biotechs, academics and innovators have access to the laboratory facilities, knowledge, data, technologies and networks they need to be able to progress their programmes of medicines research and development. It has been estimated that to take a new drug to a patient takes 13.5 years on average, at a cost of over £1.2 billion. The Medicines Discovery Catapult are solving the "somebody really needs to…" challenges in UK drug discovery, in order to bring high-value medicines to patients, faster and more-cost effectively without compromising patient safety.
Medicines Discovery Catapult are seeking two Business Development Managers to join their expert team. One of the Catapult's foremost capabilities is Informatics, which encompasses the development and application of novel workflows, data sources, and informatics methods to improve healthcare innovation through innovative, collaborative and data-sharing approaches. The role of the Informatics Business Development Manager is to generate income through collaborative R&D or commercial projects. The second Business Development Manager will be responsible for developing the Catapults relationship with the UK Biotech sector to stimulate new drug discovery/development.
The successful candidates will have a chance to contribute to the success of the sector by identifying and matching external partners to new R&D opportunities arising with the Catapult and to seek funding opportunities for resulting projects. Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop detailed understanding of the Catapults core capabilities in Informatics and/or Drug Discovery, in order to support intelligent sourcing of potential partners and generate income
- Develop internal MDC strategies to access the growing database of potential partners
- Influence MDC's strategic marketing to target potential partners
- Proactively engagement with SMEs relevant to MDC, resulting in new projects/collaborations
- Working with relevant colleagues (Informatics, Engagement, Operations) to convert potential opportunities into new collaborative R&D or commercial projects
- To actively identify and promote new relevant funding opportunities for the Catapult and its partners
- Provide support to the Head of Collaborative R&D and other members of the business development team
- Interact with the senior management and implement business processes and strategies according to the Catapult's business needs.
The Successful Applicant
These roles will suit a highly-motivated individual, who is keen to further develop their skills, collaboratively minded, deadline driven and well organised. The opportunity to join a high profile national organisation provides a fantastic platform to generate real impact and enhance your career. Essential requirements include:
- Experience in business development
- Experience in translation-focused projects including product development activities from concept to commercialisation of biopharmaceutical, healthcare or similar products.
- OR, Experience in informatics, computational biology or drug development
- Knowledge of all principle National and European grant schemes and proven track record of securing grant funding as the project manager/coordinator.
- Previous experience of report/document production (e.g. quarterly reports, final reports, audits) for Innovate UK funded research projects.
- Exposure to all key elements of grant applications.
- Exposure to the management of national and international scientific research projects, including collaborative projects with informatics/biopharmaceutical/biotech companies
- Proven industry experience in the life sciences, informatics or biopharma sector
- Experience of working in cross-functional teams and leading without formal authority
- Strong technical, scientific and operational experience from industry (ideally) or academia
- Knowledge of relevant market analyses, business planning, private finance, and IP.
What's on Offer
Competitive Salary + Bonus + Benefits
Commutable distance from the national centre in Alderley Park, Cheshire.