Category Officer / Manager
2 x Procurement Opportunities
Both 1 year fixed term contracts
About Our Client
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is the statutory fire and rescue service for the administrative county of Kent and the unitary authority area of Medway, covering a geographical area south of London down to the coast. The Head Quarters and location of these two roles is Maidstone, Kent.
As a Public Sector company it is crucial that Kent Fire & Rescue Service ensure the money received through taxation is used as carefully as possible, achieving the best value possible. They do this by adhering to the authorities Procurement Service Order (PSO) which sets out the policy by which they spend money on goods, services and works. In the financial year 17-18, Kent Fire and Rescue spent nearly £16 million on a wide range of goods, services and works with a significant proportion spent under formal contracts. Due to exceptional performance and growth this is increasing and the authority now seek additional professional support by the way of a Category Officer and a Category Manager. Both roles are 1 year Fixed Term Contracts
The Category Officer (1 Yr FTC) will provide procurement support to internal departments, principally budget holders. This will include market analysis, setting up new methods of service delivery, offering advice on tendering and contracts, managing sourcing events and ensuring cost effectiveness.
- Assist the Category Manager in the development of category strategies and sub-categories
- Prepare tender documentation and process and evaluate and analyse tender responses
- Monitor and manage financial data associated with procurement activity within the organisation
- Manage and maintain approved supplier lists ensuring all work under agreed set terms and conditions
- Hold broad functional responsibility for contract management under the direction from the Category Manager for a range of contracts.
- Create and provide management reports when required
The Category Manager (1 Yr FTC) will sit in the Facilities Management and Construction team and will undertake category management practices which enable the team to profile, benchmark, research and assess the market, risks, competition, trends and new opportunities to ensure continuity of supply and that best value is achieved.
- Influencing business strategy for the respective category to deliver the best commercial outcomes
- Manage and develop supplier relationships and on-going negotiations for the assigned category
- Use cost trend analysis, complex financial models and supplier performance reviews to deliver performance in cost, service and quality
- Tendering process - local and EU
- Contract drafting, implementation and management
- Deliver cashable savings and other financial/non-financial benefits against target
The Successful Applicant
Both of the positions require:
- Negotiation, persuasion and influencing skills
- CIPS qualification or working towards
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Analytical skills required to analyse spend and competitive bids from tenderers
- Working knowledge of EU tendering and contract regulations
In addition to the above the Category Manager will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and application of: Procurement processes, Contract Law, Costing Techniques, EU Directives and Tendering.
- Working knowledge of the NEC3 and JCT Contract Suites
- Knowledge and experience of post award contract management and supplier management.
- Competency in using P2P system
- Construction or Estates background
- Experience of new build or major refurbishment programmes
- Experience in forming updated service specifications for the effective management of a rolling building maintenance programme
- Experience of leading transformational change across a commercial and domestic estate
What's on Offer