Client Authorisation Required
Construction & FM Category Officer and Senior Category Officer
Supporting a significant government programes
Great development and growth opportunity
About Our Client
Over the past 18 months, DEFRA have consolidated 5 different commercial organisations under one team and are now managing a spend between £2-4bn per annum. This has led to the creation of a number of new roles offering exciting projects and clear career development.
DEFRA is currently recruiting Senior Category Officers and Category Officers in two separate teams: the Infrastructure (Construction) team and the Buildings (FM) team. You will be joining some of the best individuals within Commercial as we strive to deliver commercial excellence across these two complex categories.
You will be working on some of the largest and most complex spends within the DgC. These two categories both have huge projects and programmes of work to deliver across the country. In either category, you could be working on contracts and procurements across a vast portfolio of spend areas.
Our Infrastructure category predominantly covers construction and civil engineering, including both capital spend and operational maintenance. It also includes infrastructure related professional services, mechanical & electrical engineering and specialist services such as land and soil management. Flood defences are a big priority area. This category works primarily with the Environment Agency.
Our Buildings team work closely with DEFRA Estates function to manage and service DEFRA's buildings and offices. This category is focused primarily on large single source Facilities Management contracts, but the team also manage commercial aspects of site and building refurbishments along with associated costs such as furniture and utilities
The Key responsibilities of the Construction & FM Category Officer and Senior Category Officer on this programmes are:-
- Support and lead the delivery of projects, procurements and contract / supplier management roles across the technology category.
- Support the management and development of key supplier relationships to deliver exceptional performance in cost, service and quality.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with category customers;
- Provide day to day advice on commercial issues and governance across the relevant category, taking full account of risk, exploiting commercial opportunities and maximising value of money and savings.
The Successful Applicant
The successful Construction & FM Category Officer and Senior Category Officer for this programme of work will be able to demonstrate:-
A Commercial track record of setting high standards and delivering results in complex environments
- Experience at influencing Commercial decisions and stakeholders at an operational level and constructively challenge when necessary.
- Experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation
- Ability to building and maintain strong and productive working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers.
- Ability to communicate confidently and concisely. Effectively communicating with a wide range of stakeholders (at all levels) both in a technical and non-technical environment.
- Exposure to having worked with NEC/JCT/ PCR frameworks
- Delivering improvements to ways of working and embedding change.
What's on Offer
DEFRA are looking for people to join them on this commercial journey. They are looking for people from all backgrounds who can demonstrate the right commercial skills, enthusiasm and aren't afraid to challenge traditional ways of operating. Though category experience would be beneficial, it is not always a deal breaker as they are big believers in developing people.
DEFRA have a number of permanent and fixed term appointments, with potential to go permanent, that they are recruiting to. The infrastructure (construction) roles can be based from various DEFRA sites including
Warrington, Leeds, Peterborough, Solihull/Birmingham, Exeter, Worthing. The Buildings (FM) roles can also be based from various locations, but may require travel to London offices.
DEFRA offers a generous benefits package along with flexible and remote working.
By joining DEFRA you will be supported by pioneering development and training. You will work with some of the most experienced and talented people in the industry and experience an inclusive culture that encourages you to fulfil your potential.
This campaign is being run as a rolling campaign. All vacancies are launched upon commencement of this campaign. Defra will be conducting sift and interviews in waves. Any vacancies remain unfilled after the first wave, will roll over into the next wave of the campaign for fulfilment. We will also look to use waves 2 and 3 to fill merit lists for future opportunities. The first wave of this campaign will close 17th July, with interviews commencing w/c 10th August. The second wave of this campaign will close 21st August, with interviews commencing w/c 7th September. The third and final wave of this campaign will close 18th September, with interviews commencing w/c 5th October. These dates are indicative only and subject to change.
- Please be aware that at this time interviews may take place either over the phone or by video conference.
- We will aim to give you a minimum of 5 days notice before inviting any candidate for interview but please be aware that this may not be possible and interviews may have to be changed at short notice.