- The opportunity to drive and manage technology enabled transformational change.
- Hybrid working practices in place
About Our Client
The Government Property Agency is changing the way the Civil Service works and is at the forefront of the Government's transformation agenda; reshaping the relationship civil servants have with their place of work. The Agency is central to the delivery of key Government policies including moving 22,000 Civil Service roles out of London by 2030 and tackling climate change by contributing to the Net Zero agenda. To do this we are delivering a major change programme across the UK and consolidating our portfolio in order to save £1.4 billion over 10 years.
Beyond the bricks and mortar, the GPA is about providing great workplaces for our people. Through programmes like Hubs, Whitehall Campus and Smart Working you will be in the vanguard of creating model working environments and promoting flexible working practices.
This is an ambitious and exciting task, for which we need innovative people, with strong commercial acumen, who are passionate about visualising and implementing customer needs. Launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018, we're a relatively new department and we are growing fast so we also need people who thrive in ambiguity, can adapt quickly to change and are comfortable stepping outside of their remit to drive outcomes.
To support this growth, the GPA established a new digital, data and technology capability in 2020 to enable it to become a leader in property management digital services and manage this substantial property portfolio. This Technology team has continued to grow and broaden its range of technologies and services and has now reached the point where additional senior leadership support is required.
The technology team is currently in its early life and will need to be developed and grown over the next few years alongside the development of strategic partnerships with commercial providers for the necessary support services required to deliver a range of new systems and services to the GPA business units.
The GPA is investing in multiple new systems including Customer Relationship Management, Finance, Integrated Workplace Management, data warehouses and data visualisation tools. This is a business-critical role to take the GPA to its next stage of technology maturity, helping to deliver new technologies, embed them and then enhance and develop their capabilities to transform GPA operations.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, innovative leader who is comfortable in a hands-on role directly involved in operations and change management, whilst also innovating and developing strategy to join the organisation at the start of a 10-year technology journey, influence direction across a wide range of technology areas, and have a real impact on business outcomes.
- To lead on the development of the GPA's business systems capabilities that will improve efficiency and productivity across the GPA, automate processes, improve data availability and quality and enable the GPA to scale at pace through modern IT systems and tooling.
- To lead on the development of the GPA's information assurance, cyber security and data protection governance across both the GPA's internal IT systems and the technology products the GPA provides to its clients.
- To lead on the development of the GPA's business intelligence and data platform services ensuring that the GPA is able to create high-quality business information for both internal decision making, informing key stakeholders and providing high-quality property information to GPA clients.
- To lead on the development of a GPA partner ecosystem that delivers the necessary operational and strategic services required to support the internal GPA Technology team, who will operate as intelligent clients, interfacing between the GPA business units and GPA technology partners to develop strategic solutions that meet business needs.
- To lead on contract management of a range of technology supplies and partners.
Leadership and People Management
- To build a high performing and motivated team that will deliver world-class technology services by driving a culture of collaboration, partnership, focus on business outcomes, high performance and delivery.
- To engage with government departments and the technology sector to identify and source innovative technologies that will improve GPA business performance.
- To be a key advisor and champion for technology across the GPA partnering with business units to deliver GPA business plans.
- To develop and enhance the GPA's technology governance including architecture, change control, security, planning, disaster recovery and business continuity. Ensuring the GPA as it grows and develops as an organisation operates high standards of technology assurance.
- To own the strategies, roadmaps and delivery plans that will ensure the GPA meets its business plans and strategic objectives through the use of suitable technology solutions.
- To develop the necessary operational processes and activities that will ensure high-quality technology services enabling the GPA to deliver on business objectives with minimal risk.
- To develop a continuous improvement programme across all internal GPA technologies ensuring technology services adapt, change and improve in line with business needs.
The Successful Applicant
Experience and Technical Skills:
- Credible leadership of people with the ability to produce the best from staff, with a genuine commitment to their development, across a multi-tasked organisation.
- A proven track record of delivering corporate IT transformation projects within a complex multi-vendor environment.
- Excellent knowledge of corporate systems and data systems trends.
- Experience in developing and delivering multi-year corporate IT and data systems strategy, ideally in an outsourced environment.
- Experience in using data and data platforms to deliver business insight and improved business decision making.
- Experience in developing as is and go to architecture and delivering the necessary activities to deliver the change.
- A deep understanding and appreciation of user needs and productivity requirements, including how to balance expectations with cost efficiency to the satisfaction of stakeholders.
- A proven track record of delivering technology strategy that aligns with and delivers on business strategy.
- Experience in building excellent working relationships with senior stakeholders within an organisation.
- A track record of managing a complex supply chain and handling challenging commercial relationships.
- Excellent communication skills - oral and written - with the ability to communicate with precision to technical professionals, and with simplicity to customers.
- Proven experience in delivering data platforms and visualisation services that have been adopted and embedded in business operations.
- Experience in delivering improvements to IT assurance, cyber security and data protection policies and processes and embedding good practice into business as usual operations.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development linked to the role, e.g. Prince, ITIL, TOGAF, MSP.
What's on Offer
A competitive package to be discussed on a one to one basis.
Candidates will be assessed at sift stage using the required experience and technical skills listed.
The interview will have a blend of experience, behaviour, technical and strength questions. The behaviours assessed will include
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
Candidates are encouraged to submit their CV accompanied by a covering letter, outlining their motivation for applying and where they have covered the role based on the experience and technical skills listed.