Deputy Director Finance & Treasury
Number one in Finance for one of the largest Charities in the West Midlands
Develop and implement a Global Financial Strategy
About Our Client
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) is a global humanitarian and development organisation with the aim of making the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people still living in poverty by reducing the impact of conflicts and disasters, empowering communities, mobilising people and funds and strengthening the IRW family. Having been in existence for 35 years, IRW has active operations in over 40 countries globally.
Regardless of race, gender, belief or political affiliation, IRW believes those with wealth have a duty to those less fortunate. Inspired by the Islamic faith and values, IRW deliver projects providing those most in need with access to vital services, protect communities from disasters delivering life-saving emergency aid, provide lasting routes out of poverty, and empower vulnerable people to transform their lives and their communities. IRW aims to tackle the root causes of poverty and make sure that the world's most vulnerable people have a strong voice and real influence. A leader on Islamic humanitarianism and advocacy, their research programmes develop distinctive, practical approaches to the key issues that are affecting our world today.
Having undergone significant growth in recent years, IRW are committed to ensuring they have the right skills and development plans in their teams to most effectively deliver the organisational aims. The IRW global family includes national offices, affiliated partners and field offices, and subsidiary companies such as TIC International (set up in 1993, recycled clothing).
The Deputy Director Finance & Treasury role is a pivotal appointment, instrumental in the effective delivery of IRW's aims and in ensuring the Charity's financial viability and continued operation. This exciting vacancy offers the opportunity for an experienced Finance professional and people manager to make key financial decisions for IRW, supporting, coaching and developing the Finance team to optimum delivery, providing leadership to the organisation at a time of growth.
The Deputy Director Finance & Treasury will provide corporate financial leadership to Islamic Relief Worldwide and its subsidiaries, covering income of around £120m. A key strategic appointment reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO)/ Deputy CEO, and as the finance authority to Board of Directors and Trustees, this is a decision making and advisory role, responsible also for the leadership and development of the Finance Function, alongside guidance to the Global Finance Teams.
The Finance team is responsible for IRW overall financial management, with responsibilities including: budget preparation, financial planning, statutory and management reports, banking compliance, forex and partnership screening, supplier set ups, supplier payments and income reconciliations, and IRW Finance policy to all IRW divisions, entities and country offices.
- Reporting to COO
- Supporting Trustees, Audit Committee, CEO, COO, IRW Directors and Subsidiary Directors in financial decision making and setting a robust financial strategy, plans and budgets for IRW
- Development, presentation and review of the IRW Financial strategy, plans and budgets to the Board of Directors and Board of Trustees
- Leadership, coaching and development of IRW Finance Team (3 direct reports, 2 dotted lines, overall team of c.35)
- Developing and maintaining a learning conducive environment within the department
- Ensuring accurate timely financial accounting and performance reporting, and consolidation of accounts and auditing across all group operations
- Development of effective financial processes and systems
- Ensuring financial, assurance, compliance-related and regulatory requirements of the IR family are met
- Ensuring market and liquidity risk minimisation through maintaining pro-active relationships with bankers
- Facilitating professional and systematic communication across the IRW family
- Strengthening IRW's relations engaging in networks to enhance the charity's visibility
- Attending, participating and learning from conferences and other public forums
The Successful Applicant
As a member of the senior management team you will play an active role in defining and developing the organisation at a time of growth, as well as an increasingly complex regulatory and humanitarian environment. It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with Islamic Relief's universal values as well as a commitment to IRW's vision and mission.
You will be required to have strong interpersonal and leadership skills, with exposure to strategic and project implementation and delivery. Since IRW have experience significant growth, you must be able to demonstrate strategic leadership skills, particularly in an environment of change, and the ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels.
- CCAB Qualification (ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA)
- Proven experience of managing staff at managerial level
- Strategic planning, budgeting and corporate decision making
- Proven experience of engaging with and influencing decision-makers
- Sound political judgement and sensitivity to IR's culture and values
- Senior Finance experience working in an INGO / Charity sector / Government sector
- External audit management experience (or similar), preferably with a large accountancy firm
- Experience in a Financial Controller position within a large organisation
What's on Offer
IRW proudly offer a very competitive and comprehensive benefits package including:
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible working hours
- Supported working hours for new parents
- Enhanced maternity package and paternity leave
- Enhanced annual leave starting from 26 days and additional 4 days for Eid
- Health care cash plan
- Enhanced sick pay
- Company pension scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Personal development opportunities
- Car leasing scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Staff discounts
- Free On-site parking
Applications will be considered as they come in, with interviews due in February. Please apply as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Consultant Contact Details
0121 634 6920