- Exciting opportunity to work for a presitigious organisation
- Great team and hugely varied work
About Our Client
Based in Birmingham University's Edgbaston campus, the legal services team has an outstanding reputation. The well established team cover all legal matters and are highly regarded for delivering excellent legal services.
Reporting to the Director of Legal Services, the role will provide leadership to the Legal Services team, with a particular focus on developing the team, focusing on efficiency / effectiveness, leading and supporting integration of Legal Services across the University community. The Deputy will work closely with senior academic and Professional Services personnel.
Leadership & Administration
- Strategic and operational management of administration
- Developing and delivering systems/structures to enable effective day-to-day management
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to improve the efficiency of Legal Services
- Supporting initiatives within the Executive Support Division
General Legal Responsibilities
- Advising on and drafting documents e.g. academic or research collaborative agreements, data protection, and student complaints
- Managing and contributing to projects from project design to delivery
- Drafting complex internal Regulations, Codes of Practice and Guidelines
- Providing detailed legal support in the training
- Effectively manage external legal panel
- To be proactive in identifying and establishing methods to reduce potential risk or liability
- To provide training to Schools, Colleges and Professional Services on new legal initiatives and statutory compliance
- Working with the Director to support resource planning and financial management
- Oversight of financial matters, including budgetary control, ensuring adoption of appropriate processes and procedures for all financial transactions
Strategy & Maintaining Legal Quality
- Responsible for further developing and implementing an in-house quality assurance process
- Implementing Legal Services and Executive Support Divisional objectives, and Professional Services Values
- Working with colleagues across the University, and with external partners to ensure Legal Services has strong relationships within and outside the University
The Successful Applicant
- UK qualified Solicitor or barrister, (must hold current practising certificate / licence to practice)
- Significant experience working in private practice or in-house
- Strong leadership skills, with a proven ability to lead and motivate a team of staff, review and improve ways of working, build effective and trusting partnerships at all levels, and improve efficiency and effectiveness
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of managing large complex matters and projects, including the ability to prioritise workloads
- Demonstrable confidence in negotiating agreements, and strong influencing skills
- High levels of credibility, confidence and presence in senior meetings and extensive experience of thinking and working at a strategic level
- Demonstrable excellent oral communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrable cultural sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrates resilience, with an ability to work effectively under pressure and deliver to targets
- Ability to think strategically and formulate operational plans
- Strong understanding and interest in UK Higher Education and its external environment, especially legal and regulatory matters
- Ability to write excellent, concise, and purposeful papers for University Executive Board, Council, and major committees and groups
What's on Offer
The opportunity to work on an incredibly varied and interesting caseload like no other and be part of a world-leading academic community. This role will offer an excellent balance between challenge and support along with the chance to be involved in huge projects such as the University's exciting new city-centre facility, The Exchange, Birmingham Health Innovation Campus, The National College for Advanced Transportation and Infrastructure and the University's Dubai campus.
The culture of the legal services team is a huge part of what makes this role attractive too. This is an incredibly welcoming, friendly and inclusive environment and you will have the opportunity to work alongside some fantastic lawyers. Michael Page Legal have been exclusively retained on this role. Any direct, other recruitment agency or third party applications via will not be accepted and will be passed directly onto Michael Page Legal for consideration.
If you are interested in this opportunity please contact Bethany Machon.