- Working for a leading retail bank
- This is a new role within the product function
About Our Client
The client are a leading consumer bank who are looking to hire a Design Director to lead the design strategy of one of their key products.
This role will be an instrumental hire in setting the design strategy and leading a team with agile methodology.
The team is comprised of Proposition Managers, researchers, designers and developers from multiple disciplines all focused on making money work for our customers.
Key responsibilities of the Design Director:
Overall purpose of role
This is a leadership position, which reports directly into the Head of Insights and Design, the role will be responsible for leading and facilitating human-centred design excellence as part of the "pod" transformation strategy.
The role holder will be accountable for:
- Working collaboratively with other "POD" partners and being jointly accountable for all POD outcomes, establishing strategic plans and executing these to deliver all outcomes. This will typically require a good understanding of the future strategic and operational plans of teams involved in business change activities to mitigate programme risks before they arise.
- Translating plans into working practices within the POD Business and Technology teams whilst directly leading the Insights and Design team for the POD
- Operating programme governance and approvals in line with company policies
- Having a broad and comprehensive understanding to be able to advocate for customers in POD decision making whilst recognising the need to balance commercial aims, delivery feasibility and any regulatory deadlines in all POD prioritisation decisions
- Leading the whole POD team in a way which drives a culture that is inspiring, energising and engaging, whilst establishing a strong talent and development strategy - irrespective of reporting lines or technical skills
- Lead all customer research, listening, testing and market scanning processes
- Lead need identification and distillation vs target outcomes
- Jointly lead with the other POD Partners the creation of balanced business case which factors in customer appeal and feasibility. This will typically demonstrate significant influence over the use of Business, Design, and Technology team resources and budgets to provide the best overall customer and commercial benefits.
- Jointly responsible with the other POD Partners for the multi-million pound change budget aligned to the POD, and directly responsible for any project budgets allocated to Insights and Design. This might include managing budget related to research or design agencies, or the use of contingent workforce.
- Facilitate problem statement prioritisation
- Lead solution discovery incorporating customer, competitor and internal insights
- Coordinate solution/service design taking accountability for solution integrity across the bank
- Lead experience design including design of delivery SLAs / standards
- Take accountability for forecasting anticipated customer dependent outcomes
- Lead solution and user acceptance testing and sign off
- Good understanding of the broader industry and commercial awareness which includes market positioning (including marketing) and pricing process vs competition
- Delivering accurate insight on outcomes vs expectations relative to competitive offerings
- Embed agile ways of working within the POD teams
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate:
- Extensive professional experience leading design, research, or proposition activities and associated teams across matrix structures
- Experience of applying agile methodologies and working practices across enterprise change programmes
- Experience of commercial decision making in a corporate environment
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to find order in complex environments, creating momentum around priorities, resilient and positive, even in challenging circumstances
- Full working knowledge of change and design governance processes
- Full working knowledge of UX/UI/Service Design methodologies and how to apply them
- Full working knowledge of a wide range of design research methodologies and when to apply them
- Understanding of tools for both formative research and exploration and discovery, and evaluative research for testing and refinement of concepts, prototypes and other stimulus material.
- Passionate about mentoring and training others to build the best most knowledgeable teams and help others with progression.
- Desire to seek out and embrace new ways of working to improve productivity across the bank
- Experience using project management tools such as Jira, Confluence, Trello etc
- Experience in a complex non-design-led organization
- Understanding of the financial services industry
- Entrepreneurial mindset and experience
What's on Offer