Innovative Transport Solutions
UK leading Smart Manufacturing Facility
About Our Client
Bromptons mission is to transform the way people live in cities. The Brompton Bicycle was conceived in 1975 as a product that increases people's independence and freedom and this is still at the heart of everything they do. Brompton build products that are genuinely useful wherever and whenever they are needed. Still made in London today, with 312 employees and with presence in 45 countries, Brompton manufacture over 45,000 bikes per year and is the UK's largest bike manufacturer.
- As part of the team you as a Design Engineer will conduct research relevant to each project covering:
- Bicycle ergonomics
- Technical aspects of mechanical principles involved, including frame strength and stiffness.
- Appropriate manufacturing methods based on companies capabilities and state of the art methods
- Generate concepts for new developments in line with project briefs and specifications.
- Present ideas through sketches and hand-made prototypes for selection by the wider team.
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including
- 3D CAD modelling using Solidworks
- 2D critical dimension drawings
- Simulation (Finite element Analysis) where appropriate for validation.
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources)
- Follow design verification plans to physically validate concepts and designs in line with internal test procedures and industry standard requirements.
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic and ergonomic approach with the design lead and senior designers within the team.
- Maintain bills of materials to document proposed product changes.
- Throughout your role you will also liaise with:
- The purchasing team to ensure design concepts meet the financial targets set out for the projects
- Production engineering to ensure designs are efficient for manufacture and meet the capabilities of our suppliers and the internal production team.
- Quality to help generate inspection plans in line with the critical design requirements.
- Third party suppliers to obtain initial tooling quotations
- Marketing and sales to ensure they are informed and consulted on the designs as they develop.
The Successful Applicant
Skills and Requirements for the Design Engineer
- Portfolio demonstrating track record in mechanism and aesthetic design.
- Knowledge in a similar role ideally within automotive, aerospace or consumer product development.
- Demonstrated ability in 3D CAD, preferably Solidworks.
- FEA is an advantage.
- Project ownership from concept through to mass production and beyond is desirable.
- Proven ability to produce designs to specified lead times and costs.
- Exposure to and knowledge of relevant manufacturing techniques is an advantage:
- Injection moulding
- Die casting
- Welding and brazing
- Paint and coating application
- Surface treatment
- Heat treatment
- Spring specification
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
- A minimum of 24 months of relevant industry knowledge
- A interest in cycling is highly desirable for this role.
What's on Offer
A great career with base salaries up to £36,000 + excellent benefits.