Groundbreaking business challenging big businesses through innovation and design
Fast growing and award winning business setting up a new design hub in Bristol
About Our Client
They develop smarter technology for women and are committed to building extraordinary products that improve women's lives. It's a fascinating and challenging area to be addressing as it requires all their employees to stretch themselves and solve problems that no-one's tackled before. That's why they are looking for skilled, curious individuals who want to grow by surrounding themselves with a diverse array of outstanding people.
As a business ,they have received more than 30 awards, was named one of 15 startups "To Watch" by The Sunday Times and Business Insider, and was ranked as the 13th fastest growing business in the UK by SyndicateRoom.
The Design Manager will;
- You will own the design engineering aspects of the design process for New Product Development
- You will plan an iterative development process suitable for your project
- You will lead your team of design engineers and work alongside product researchers, product managers, project managers and product development support teams to ensure the smooth running of projects through New Product Development and into New Product Realisation (Manufacturing)
- You will get your team on board and excited by your plan. You will motivate them and give them the support they need to do their best work according to your plan
- You will clearly communicate expectations of each iteration, focusing on highest risk first
- You will define what success looks like for these iterations
- You will be responsible for the day to day decision making and setting of direction
- You will write and maintain design documentation including: design requirements, product specifications, test plans, BOM's, 2D and 3D CAD in preparation for transfer to New Product Realisation (Manufacturing)
On occasion, you will act as point of contact for specialists for IP capture and freedom to operate, as well as regulatory affairs
- As the project develops you will re-assess levels of resource needed in each area and make adjustments to your team as necessary
- As your project becomes more resolved you will lead on pulling together the tender pack/RFQ
Ultimately you will manage your team to deliver game changing best-in-class products on time, on spec and on cost
Based in their new Bristol R&D facility and reporting into Head of NPD. Some travel will be expected between sites and to offices and suppliers in Asia.
The Successful Applicant
The Design Manager requirements are:
- You have held a Design Manager or similarly senior position within a related industry (physical product development).
- You have worked your way up to this position over the last 10 years, which gave you broad exposure to the entire product development process
- You are a problem solver. You've been through the wringer on difficult projects and eventually found solutions.
- You've gained some good 'war stories' in the detailed design and manufacturing phases. This has given you the experience to spot potential pitfalls and avoid them on future projects
- You are able to distil inputs from product managers, customer insights, senior management team and your own gut feelings into logical and clearly described design requirements - and you empower your team to do the same
You have an intimate knowledge of the design process - both book-smart theoretical and the often different reality - and are able to adapt it for use in most situations
- You have a great breadth of knowledge across many disciplines - research, mechanical, electronics, manufacturing, operations, reliability, approvals, project management - you may not be an expert in any of them but you can at least hold a conversation and know what questions to ask
- You are able to simplify complex decisions (often requiring balancing or compromising of conflicting requirements) and clearly explain your logic and thought process. When the best answer to these decisions is not obvious you have an amazing ability to break the problem down into smaller pieces
- You have built up realistic experience of how long design tasks take to conceptualise, design and test.
- You have a proven track record (working with Project Managers) for planning and organising your design projects and delivering them on time
- You are practical and hands-on and very much lead by example
What's on Offer
Elvie are looking after you. As well as amazing colleagues and engaging work, our benefits have flexibility and wellbeing in mind.
- The chance to make a real impact in improving women's health and lives
- Working with an experienced, dedicated and passionate team that share the same values and love what they do
Career progression and regular performance reviews
- Competitive base salary, bonus linked with performance and share options in a rapidly growing business
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holiday's
- Flexible working environment - our culture is built on trust and autonomy
- Well-being - we provide a growing programme with daily healthy snacks, cycle to work scheme, free preventive health check, free flu vaccination, mental health awareness, and discounted gym membership
- Private healthcare, pension & life insurance (coming soon)
- Regular company socials, daily snacks and as much tea and coffee that you can consume