Development Director - Major Projects - St. Modwen
Define & deliver the Longbridge Master Plan
Shape the outcome of one of the largest Midlands investment programmes
About Our Client
St. Modwen has an extraordinary history, with a reputation for looking at things differently and creating opportunities where none existed. It creates places that matter, drawing on its regeneration and development expertise to create new communities, build quality homes for families and create new jobs through the delivery of industrial and logistics space. In the exciting years ahead, St. Modwen will be delivering over 15m sq ft of warehouse space and increase residential output by 25% per annum - alongside its major regeneration projects that create employment, education, leisure, retail and residential opportunities. It will be the market leading provider of industrial and logistics, residential and regeneration schemes in the UK.
St. Modwen is proud of its heritage. Its people, skills and experience are the bedrock of the business and have helped it achieve so much - and it aspires to achieve even more.
The appointment of a new Development Director - Major Projects in the Strategical Land & Regeneration business unit is an important role in its new national structure.
In this role, you will play an important part in shaping its future, working together to make a great business even better. St. Modwen is creating a culture that is inspiring and inclusive, one where difference is valued, enabling everyone to perform at their best and realise their potential, building and sustaining a business, brand and reputation of which they can all be proud.
This role is part of the new Strategic Land & Regeneration Business Unit reporting to the Head of Major Projects and will work across the whole unit, advising on all activities. You will lead the development of major projects from initial acquisition to development and disposal - defining the strategy that delivers on the long term requirements of a development through effective programme management.
Your initial focus will be to lead the nationally significant Longbridge regeneration scheme. Longbridge is a £1bn+ mixed use regeneration across 468 acres of the former MG Rover car plant in south Birmingham. To date 1,500 homes, 1m sq. ft. of commercial floor space and over 3,000 jobs have been created through the regeneration of 200 acres. An investment programme across the remaining 260 acres will complete the regeneration of Longbridge and realise economic and social benefits of £500m GVA per annum.
As Development Director, your key accountabilities will be many and varied including:
- Member of the Major Projects team - An active role in developing and supporting the development of major projects; complex, often large, mixed use schemes
- Support the Head of Major Projects to identify and secure new development opportunities
- Development and implementation of major projects - Coordinating teams to manage all aspects of the development programme, including:
- Creating and owning the business case and development brief
- Working alongside Planning to liaise with external bodies to achieve planning permission
- Instigating, reviewing and challenging design proposals, delivering compliance with business case and brief
- Liaison with the Construction team and monitoring of construction processes, checking for compliance with business case
- Co-ordination of marketing, leasing and sale of assets in conjunction with the Asset management team and external agents
- Managing the preparation of bids and acquisition packs and presenting to the Investment Committee for approval
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with key regional stakeholders building on existing networks
- Being accountable for assigned high value / complex developments to include appraisals, valuations, budgets and cash flow in line with business authorisation levels and in partnership with the Business Unit Finance team
- Leading multi-disciplined external project teams and working collaboratively with internal project team members (high value / complex projects)
- Constantly looking for opportunities for major projects to continuously improve what we do and how we deliver in this sector
The Successful Applicant
Anticipated Skills and Experiences include:
- Strong experience operating in the Major Projects area, preferably with a developer, consultant or agent and RICS qualified
- Proven track record in delivery of relevant regeneration opportunities and successfully negotiating and managing all aspects of the acquisition, development, leasing and disposal process
- Exceptional technical, management and financial skills
- Strong project management and organisation capabilities
- A track record of successfully leading multi-disciplined teams
- Excellent collaboration skills; highly effective at working in partnership with others and achieving positive outcomes
- Skilled at managing senior stakeholders in highly political and sensitive business / political environments
- Strong professional network within the sector; excellent at building and maintaining external relationships
- A senior professional who is able to work successfully within cross-functional teams and work effectively with a diverse range of people to create high performing team environments
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills
What's on Offer
£80,000 - £100,000 Salary + Car allowance + Bonus and Benefits
Please note that any 3rd party CV's or direct applications will be forwarded directly to Michael Page