Director of Finance
Unique opportunity to contribute to ongoing success of a growing College group
Be part of an innovative and experienced senior leadership team
About Our Client
Luminate Education Group consists of Leeds City College, Keighley College, Leeds College of Music, the White Rose Academy Trust (WRAT) and recently Harrogate College. With an Ofsted grade of 'good' with 'outstanding' features, you will be working at one of the fastest improving and most innovative education groups in the country.
We have already experienced massive growth reflected by our recent £40m Printworks Campus development and our new cutting-edge £60m campus at Quarry Hill. With our ambitious plans to become the region's leader in vocational and academic education, backed up by a family of high performing educational institutes.
We work closely with the Leeds Enterprise Partnership and the West Yorkshire Combined Authority to provide learners with courses and apprenticeships to bridge the skills gap and meet regional market demand.
Our values shape and reflect the beliefs and behaviours of all our staff and students
- Aspirational WITH heart
- Down to earth WITH huge ambition
- High performing WITH soul
- Everyone together WHILST championing the individual
As Director of Finance you will use your accountancy skills and experience to deliver across a number of key areas within Luminate Education Group including:
- You will ensure the successful delivery of the group's strategic aims through the effective leadership and management of the Financial Resources functions of the Luminate Education Group.
- You will ensure the financial stability of the group, ensuring sufficient funds are available to invest in the student experience and deliver value for money.
- You will provide professional leadership and management of the Financial Resources Directorate to ensure a strategic, consistent and coherent finance service that demonstrates high standards of performance and customer service.
- Provide meaningful, relevant and timely performance information to stakeholders regarding the group's financial performance to enable effective decision making.
- Maintain up to date knowledge and understanding of all relevant legislation and best practice to ensure financial and legal compliance and be the finance specialist on the Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure that financial processes are tailored to support the efficient and effective use of resources.
- Develop positive and collaborative relationships with other members of the senior leadership team, and wider group stakeholders.
- Deputise for the Deputy Chief Executive - Services at internal and external meetings, as required.
- Lead on the preparation of the group's revenue and capital budgets for approval by the Board of Governors, and ensure that appropriate financial information across the group is accurate, accessible and effectively communicated to all relevant parties.
- Continue to develop the system of forecasting, budget management and reporting which enables the group and its managers to run the business effectively.
- Contribute to the development of the business planning and performance review process, resulting in robust business plans and an effective performance management framework.
- Implement effective systems of budgetary control, including overall responsibility for the preparation of monthly management accounts for submission to the relevant boards, committees and to budget holders.
- Develop the culture of autonomy and accountability with budget holders.
- Manage specific budgets associated with the role of Director of Finance.
- Ensure that the financial system and practices meet all audit requirements, achieve clean audits and that the financial operation of the group satisfies all necessary and relevant accounting conventions and standards.
- Ensure the timely production of year-end accounts in co-operation with the groups' external auditors.
- Ensure that the group's financial regulations are up to date to meet all regulatory requirements and to ensure that all relevant staff receive adequate training to understand and comply with the regulations.
- Maintain the financial policies and procedures which balance the need for compliance with regulations and efficient processes and safeguard the group.
- Ensure the group's accounting systems are effective, accurate, up-to-date and properly administered to provide an effective system of financial control.
- Ensure the effective operation of the procurement function and that it is managed to achieve outstanding value for money.
- Oversee the arrangements for preparing tender documents such that it complies with procurement regulations and best practice.
- Ensure that income due is collected without undue delay
- Insure that income and expenditure is recorded accurately
- Maintain close monitoring of the compliance with banking covenants
- Effectively manage the cash position, ensure that the treasury management policy is maintained, up-to -date, and adhered to.
- Ensure that the group responds in a timely and accurate manner to all requests for financial returns including those from funding bodies, HMRC and pensions agencies.
The Successful Applicant
To be successful as Director of Finance at Luminate Education Group you will need to possess the following skills and experience:
- Qualified accountant (ACA / ACCA / CIMA / CIPFA) or equivalent
- Professional, academic or technical qualifications at degree level or above.
- Ability to provide high-level strategic advice and guidance to the Chief Executive and Deputy Chief Executives, Senior Leadership Team and the group as a whole on a wide range of finance and procurement issues.
- Experience of financial planning for a complex organisation, including management of financial and accounting services.
- Ability to negotiate and influence effectively across a wide spectrum of political, social and business areas.
- Experience of successfully managing a large budget with complex income and expenditure streams, delivering to financial targets and making best use of limited resources.
- Ability to identify the strategic agenda for service delivery and to identify and implement business processes and systems to effect improvements in service.
- Command and use of relevant professional / technical knowledge and job-related knowledge and skills.
- Significant and sustained experience as a finance professional.
- Management and leadership skills at a senior level - both strategic and operational.
- Ability to motivate, inspire and influence a large and diverse workforce by example and persuasion.
- Ability to develop and project a positive image of the Group through personal, written and oral skills.
- Ability to recognise, develop and effectively promote new opportunities for the Group.
- Strong, evidenced project management experience.
- Track record of advancing equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to analyse data and use management information systems.
- Strategic thinker.
- Perceptive, with excellent judgement.
- Outstanding commercial awareness and insight.
- Ability to work in uncertainty.
- Self-reliant and resilient.
- Professional and value led with integrity, inclusivity and respect for diversity.
- Motivation to work in an educational environment and an ability to form personal boundaries with young people and vulnerable adults.
- Willingness to use authority and maintain student discipline in an educational environment.
- Commitment to work in partnership with others for the benefit of students.
- Social Confidence and the ability to represent the Luminate Education Group effectively with outside agencies, employers and other bodies.
- Strategic vision as well as an eye for detail.
- The qualities of an innovator
- Ability to travel between sites and to meet external commitments.
- Ability to work flexible and when needed outside normal working hours.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally on group business.
- Clear drive and ambition to ensure that the group becomes an outstanding provider of education and skills.
What's on Offer
A salary on offer at a fixed point between £60,000 - £70,000 per annum
37 days holidays plus bank holidays
West Yorkshire pension scheme