Director of Legal Affairs
Do you have experience working for a Public Body ?
Do you managerial experience?
About Our Client
The client is a global professional membership body driving excellence. They serve our members and society in order to deliver better buildings and places, stronger communities and a sustainable environment. Being inclusive, ethical, environmentally aware and collaborative underpins all that they do.
- Interpreting and advising on the application of the Constitution including the Charter, Byelaws and Regulations, advising the CEO, staff, Board and the Council from time to time;
- Advising on governance queries and dealing with the Privy Council and/or Charity Commission as necessary;
- Advising on general governance matters including reviewing committee structures, skills matrices, Terms of Reference of committees and compliance with principles of good governance;
- Interpreting the Supplemental Charter, Byelaws and Regulations and advising the Honorary Secretary, Chief Executive Officer and others as and when required;
- Managing and keeping under review the election processes with the Board, committees and advisory groups;
- Advising the President, Honorary Secretary and Chief Executive Officer on the Annual and Special General Meetings of the membership in relation to constitutional matters;
- Promoting a general culture of governance awareness and ensuring compliance with the Constitution, charity law and other relevant legislation and regulations;
- Keeping the Chief Executive Officer fully supported on all issues relating to Governance;
- Responsibility for ensuring the Executive Team and senior managers are working within the remit of the Constitution at all times;
- Leading on the development and delivery of an induction process for new Council, Board and Committee members;
- Management of the preparation of all Council and Board documentation including papers, minutes and action lists as well as managing the delivery of action items in consultation with the relevant managers;
- Maintaining the Constitutional pages on their website to ensure they remain accurate; and
- Working with the Executive Director of HR and Organisational Development to introduce Board and committee performance measures.
- Providing legal advice and guidance in relation to compliance, procurement, intellectual property, employment and litigation process. This will involve, amongst other things, drafting and reviewing various legal documents, policies and guidelines and supporting colleagues in these issues;
- Documenting relationship with suppliers, to include reviewing terms of contracts and terms and conditions of supply, working closely with Procurement and Finance teams;
- Supporting the Human Resource department on employment law matters including in relation to ET claims against the client;
- Defending litigation (including considering settlement terms where appropriate) and pre-action process threatened against the client;
- Advisory role to the Data Protection Officer (not acting as DPO as the DPO role requires independence);
- Managing a Legal budget, to include litigation and governance matters.
- Managing a small team, including agreeing Activity Plans and Development Plans, regular 1:1s and performance management;
- Mid-year and end of year reporting; and
- Leading the team in setting high levels of professional service and customer care. Ensuring the team keep work targets and agreed service levels in terms of time of response to queries and quality of advice and support provided to the business.
The Successful Applicant
- A qualified lawyer, preferably a solicitor.
- Substantial experience in a similar role in a membership/trade body or other organisation governed under Royal Charter or similar vehicle
- Knowledge of corporate governance and legal/quasi-legal matters
- Educated to graduate level or have a similar level of experience
- Successful in managing relationships with high profile stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail and proof reading skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office software
What's on Offer
12 months fixed term contract
Working from home