Director of Treasury Operations
A chance to join a leading Russell Group university in Cardiff City Centre
Role open from 2nd January 2020
About Our Client
A key player in the Russell Group, Cardiff University is one of the UK's most innovative, ambitious and successful universities. We recognise that our success depends largely upon the commitment, energy and enthusiasm of our people.
We are an ambitious and innovative university with a bold and strategic vision located in a beautiful and thriving capital city. Our world-leading research was ranked 5th amongst UK universities in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework for quality and 2nd for impact. We provide an educationally outstanding experience for our students.
Join us and help us achieve our ambition of becoming a world-leading, research-excellent, educationally outstanding university, driven by creativity and curiosity, which fulfils its social, cultural and economic obligations to Cardiff, Wales and the world.
Michael Page are proud to be partnering with Cardiff University on a retained basis to recruit the pivotal role of Director of Treasury Operations.
This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in such a key, high profile organisation in Cardiff and South Wales where you will provide strategic leadership and professional expertise for the University's Treasury activities.
The Director of Treasury Operations will contribute to the leadership and on-going development of the Finance function by active participation and collaboration with senior colleagues in Finance, contributing to the development of strategy, policy and plans.
You will have leadership responsibilities for;
- Investment Management
- Treasury Management
- Insurance and
You will act as the professional lead on all treasury activities and services across the institution, being responsible for the professional delivery of related services across College finance teams You will provide direct leadership, direction and management of staff within the Treasury Operations section and deputise for the Chief Financial Officer both in their absence and as the delegated professional in allocated areas of responsibility.
You will represent finance to a diverse audience (including University Executive Board, College Registrars, external policy makers, Heads of School). You will monitor all relevant changes in the internal and external environment ensuring they are anticipated and planned for, and developing innovative solutions to meet complex, institution wide issues as required.
You will be the key point of contact for all investors and banking providers and be comfortable travelling to London on a regular basis.
The Successful Applicant
As Cardiff University's Finance department is currently engaged in a large change management process we are looking for individuals who have experience of streamlining and developing processes and procedures in a large treasury function.
It would be preferential if you have driven significant process improvement in Banking and Cash activities and have developed relationships with Investment Managers and Lenders.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience;
- Substantial experience in a senior Finance leadership and management role within a business of equivalent size
- Demonstrable experience of contributing to organisational success by designing, implementing and managing innovative strategies across a complex business, promoting leadership and nurturing talent
- First degree (or equivalent)
- Fully qualified accountant (ACA/ACCA/ACMA/CIPFA) with significant post qualification experience at leadership level.
- Significant experience of influencing executive boards and governing bodies at a senior level.
- Development, implementation and evaluation of innovative treasury management policies and strategies
- Strong technical skills and knowledge of accounting and treasury principles and standards including financial markets, financial instruments, debt instruments, banking relationships and covenants.
- Experience of working under pressure, demonstrating self-motivation and ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to communicate and deliver treasury strategy and projects to senior stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a team, creating a culture of high performance and deploying people to achieve strategic priorities.
- ACT part/qualified.
- Experience in the Higher Education sector or related sector with a significant regulatory framework.
- Understanding of, interest in and affinity for higher education - its teaching, research and enterprise activities.
- Familiarity with Oracle's E-Business Suite software.
- Knowledge of legal and policy frameworks in which universities operate.
What's on Offer
Appointment will made on a competitive salary
Other benefits include;
- 37 days + 8 days bank holidays.
- Pension Scheme - Employee 8% Employer 18%.
- Flexible working hours - Based on a 35 hours working week.
- Use of University Facilities - Reduced rates on sports memberships (Court hire, personal training), free use of libraries, computer suites, sports and student union facilities.
Closing Date: Friday 31st January 2020. Please note that this role may be closed earlier if we have a large number of applicants.
**Please note, any 3rd party CV's from agencies or direct applications will be sent to Michael Page for consideration.