Environmental Goods and Services Senior Category Officer
Part of an exciting commercial transformation journey
Excellent career development and growth opportunities
About Our Client
Over the past 18 months, DEFRA have consolidated 5 different commercial organisation under one team and are now managing a spend ranging between £2-4bn. This has led to the creation of a number of new roles offering exciting projects and clear career development.
The EG&S category covers environmental evidence and research activity along with environmental equipment and laboratory goods & services. Land use and biodiversity technical services are a further area of expenditure, and there is considerable spend also on veterinary & animal related goods & services. EU grants are also managed by this team. This is an exciting area to work in as it is essential to the delivery of DEFRA's policies.
In these roles you will play an active part to ensure that DEFRA is a best in class department; you will be collaborating closely with major suppliers and senior stakeholders to challenge traditional ways of thinking and proactively engaging with suppliers to ensure that DEFRA is at the forefront of innovation and ways of working.
The Key responsibilities of the Environmental Goods and Services Senior Category Officer are:-
- Support and lead the delivery of projects, procurements and contract / supplier management roles across the environmental goods and services category.
- Support the management and development of key supplier relationships to deliver exceptional performance in cost, service and quality.
Build and sustain effective relationships with category customers;
- Provide day to day advice on commercial issues and governance across the relevant category, taking full account of risk, exploiting commercial opportunities and maximising value of money and savings.
The Successful Applicant
The successful Environmental Goods and Services Senior Category Officer will be able to demonstrate:-
- A Commercial track record of setting high standards and delivering results in complex environments
- Experience at influencing Commercial decisions and stakeholders at an operational level and constructively challenge when necessary.
- Experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation
- Ability to building and maintain strong and productive working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers.
- Ability to communicate confidently and concisely. Effectively communicating with a wide range of stakeholders (at all levels) both in a technical and non-technical environment.
- Delivering improvements to ways of working and embedding change.
What's on Offer
DEFRA are looking for people to join them on this commercial journey. They are looking for people from all backgrounds who can demonstrate the right commercial skills, enthusiasm and aren't afraid to challenge traditional ways of operating. Though category experience would be beneficial, it is not always a deal breaker as they are big believers in developing people. DEFRA have a number of sites across the UK where the roles can be based from including Peterborough, York, Exeter and Bristol, to name a few.
DEFRA offers a generous benefits package along with flexible and remote working.
By joining DEFRA you will be supported by pioneering development and training. You will work with some of the most experienced and talented people in the industry and experience an inclusive culture that encourages you to fulfil your potential.
- This campaign is being run as a rolling campaign. All vacancies are launched upon commencement of this campaign. Defra will be conducting sift and interviews in waves. Any vacancies remain unfilled after the first wave, will roll over into the next wave of the campaign for fulfilment. We will also look to use waves 2 and 3 to fill merit lists for future opportunities. The first wave of this campaign will close 17th July, with interviews commencing w/c 10th August. The second wave of this campaign will close 21st August, with interviews commencing w/c 14th September. The third and final wave of this campaign will close 16th October, with interviews commencing w/c 9th November. These dates are indicative only and subject to change.
We will aim to give you a minimum of 5 days notice before inviting any candidate for interview but please be aware that this may not be possible and interviews may have to be changed at short notice