- One of fastest growing towns in the country hence the borough councils growing
- Exciting commercial developments & a strong financial position creating new role
About Our Client
My client is a borough council who is growing. They are one of the fastest growing towns in the country, with some exciting commercial developments. This has all been made possible thanks to our strong financial position. We have a strong, collaborative and supportive culture that enables everyone to grow and develop. Ensuring employees have a positive work life balance is really important to us. We have an agile working policy, which enables our people to work flexibly.
- Leading the Council's Financial Services function, including managing the operation of all activities of the Financial Services and leading all members of financial staff in their work and development.
- Acting as Deputy Section 151 Officer under the Local Government Act 1972 and support the Chief Officer Finance and Performance in the operation and development of all financial activities of the Council.
- Supporting the delivery of the Transformation agenda in collaboration with the Transformation lead officer.
- Providing financial advice and information to all Councillors and officers within the Council.
- Contributing towards the democratic and corporate activities of the Council.
- Acting as the technical lead including the local government accounting relating to relevant Accounting Codes of Practice, Statutory requirements and to grant regimes.
- Championing excellent management of financial resources, promoting efficiency, high performance, probity and excellent value for money services and will play a crucial role in the delivery of service transformation, driving efficiency and productivity improvements and also the optimisation of income opportunities.
- Ensuring that members and officers are provided with high quality strategic advice and direction on financial strategies, policies, standards and practices, enabling timely and well-informed decisions to be made in the knowledge of the impact of those decisions will have financially on the Council
The Successful Applicant
- Must be a fully qualified member of one of the five accountancy institutes in CCAB or CIMA, preferably CIPFA
- Must have wide knowledge and at least five years experience in a professional finance environment preferably within Local Government or the public sector
- Must have experience in supervising staff
- Understands the local government approach to financial management and planning and how this should be developed to provide value for money
- Has sound knowledge and experience of local government accounting relating to relevant Accounting Codes of Practice, Statutory requirements
- Has a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and other PC based software
- Extensive knowledge of Treasury Management in a Local Authority setting
- Has excellent communication skills and able to demonstrate written skills to communicate complex information clearly and concisely
What's on Offer
£50,440 - £55,000 plus excellent benefits