Financial Accounting Manager
International development organisation based in the Midlands
Permanent hybrid of home working and office based
About Our Client
Practical Action is an international development organisation focused on unconventional, multi-disciplinary change. They are a complex organisation with a £35 million turnover, located in 11 different countries across the globe. They support communities to find solutions to some of the worlds toughest problems and have three focus areas -
- A highly innovative community development charity operating in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Practical Action community projects use ingenious ideas to design, test, refine and prove new ways to overcome poverty and disadvantage and then 'open-source' knowledge of what works so that it can be implemented at a greater scale by others.
- A world-class consulting operation that helps socially responsible business, government policy makers and other development organisations. This draws on learning's from our own development work as well as the combined brainpower of a roster of over 2,000 expert consultants. Practical Action Consulting helps to extend the reach of our influence by providing the best advice to others, whose work can make a bigger difference.
- A well-respected specialist development publisher. Practical Action Publishing brings together development practitioners, researchers and thought leaders to create publications that stimulate discussion, strengthen people's capabilities and inspire sustainable change.
This role reports into the Head of Group Finance and interfaces with other managers across the finance team, Head of Internal Audit, Company Secretary and other manager located across the Globe.
The role will involve the following-
- Completion of the accounts for the UK business unit and consolidated accounts for the group on a monthly basis
- Delivery of the annual statutory accounts for the group and UK subsidiaries
- Management and coordination of the annual group audit and those for subsidiary entities
- Ensuring completion of UK tax returns and monitor group wide tax compliance
- Maintenance, development and implementation of finance policies
- Improvement of accounting practices and processes to support evolving information, control and compliance needs.
- Maintain and develop key sections of the global group finance manual
- Manage and oversee group banking and investment arrangements and hedging of foreign exchange exposure
- Coordinate the financial crime oversight team and maintain all records of incidents and investigations
- Management and development of a high performing team of four
- Principal contact for external auditors, professional advisors, group bankers and investment managers, and HMRC.
The Successful Applicant
- Qualified Accountant either ACCA or ACA
- Exceptional technical accountancy skills and a high degree of numeracy
- Experience of working in a complex, multi-entity, multi-currency financial environment
- Good understanding of international accounting standards and UK SORP
- Good understanding of consolidation accounting
- Experience of managing external audits
- Understanding of investment and principles of foreign exchange hedging
- Ability to develop operational solutions to meet business needs
- Strong IT skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to explain complex concepts in straightforward ways and across language and cultural barriers
- Good managerial skills: ability to prioritise, motivate, organise, manage, train and develop whilst deliver changeable priorities
- High levels of resilience and tenacity: proven ability to overcome obstacles
- A commitment to Practical Action's mission and values
What's on Offer
£40,000 - £45,000 plus competitive benefits