Fantastic opportunity to join an innovative, ethical business based in Bristol
Would suit a commercially astute, hands-on Financial Controller
About Our Client
The Wave is a surf brand and surf culture company building inland surfing destinations in the UK and beyond. They are developing stunning destinations for people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities. The aim is to create engaging places for people to learn, laugh and stay healthy.
The inland surfing lake destinations are powered by the latest wave-making technology, offering perfect waves for all abilities. Embedded in stunning landscapes, they want to get people outdoors, into nature and enjoying life. All their work looks to make positive impact; balancing financial, environmental and social objectives... whilst being sustainable.
As an organisation, The Wave are absolutely committed to providing amazing and inspiring experiences for their customers and understand that in it order to achieve this, they are going to need a truly amazing and inspiring team to deliver them.
With ambitious plans and intentions to grow from the first site in Bristol, to a second site in London and then beyond, across Europe. There will be many challenges in doing this and they are looking for a motivated, adventurous individual to accompany that journey.
In short, The Wave are going to need to recruit and retain the very best people the market place has to offer for each and every role they have available, because as a team they know that in order to achieve their goals they are going to need 'their whole to be significantly greater than the sum of their parts'.
Reporting into the CEO, the Financial Controller will be responsible for:
- Providing financial and non-financial analysis and support for all department managers, including operational reporting through Business Intelligence;
- Supporting the Board of Directors in fundraising and investor relations and supporting all information requests;
- Managing the annual budgeting process with input from all departments;
- Developing systems and procedures to ensure the efficient and effective management of the finances of all departments;
- Developing financial policies and processes that comply with the relevant accounting standards and investment agreements;
- Working with department heads to recommend changes that will improve the company's financial performance and financial controls;
- Drafting the statutory accounts for the group of companies and act as the main point of contact to external auditors;
- Maintaining the Financial Model, Business Plan with inputs from departments and external reports;
- Controlling the group cash position and cash flow forecast;
- Providing management, delegation, motivation and coaching to the other members of the finance team, whilst creating an environment where staff feel motivated with a culture of continuous improvement to add value to the organisation;
- Ensuring the delivery of monthly management accounts along with supporting commentary and board reporting;
- Authorising purchases and approving purchases;
- Providing cover for junior staff when required, including assisting with bookkeeping, payroll, VAT returns and reporting.
The Successful Applicant
Skills & Attributes Required:
- 2+ years' experience working in a senior finance role;
- Relevant Accounting Qualification ACA/ ACCA/ CIMA;
- The ability to step into an FD role in a couple of years;
- Key leader throughout the organisation as a whole;
- Possess the confidence and credibility in front of investors;
- Superb communication and presentation skills for board and investor meetings;
- Strong commercial acumen and an ability to communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders;
- Hands on attitude;
- Good knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping procedures;
- Familiarity with accounting software - especially Microsoft Navision;
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills;
- Strong attention to detail, with an ability to spot trends and errors;
- An ability to work under pressure in an agile & fast-paced environment.
What's on Offer
Employee Share Scheme