- You will be joining a company enjoying tremendous success with plans to expand
- This role is critical in shaping the culture of the business and its success
About Our Client
Maker&Son is one of the world's fastest growing luxury furniture businesses. They design and make the world's most comfortable chairs, sofas, and beds, entirely from natural materials. They are an ambitious, young company, with a vision to become a globally recognised brand, changing the face of luxury home retail.
Since their launch in 2018, the dedicated team of wonderful people working there has grown significantly. They now have teams in the US, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand as well as at their Head Office in heart of West Sussex. They engage with their customers digitally and sell directly to customers via their website, mobile showrooms, and network of show homes, avoiding traditional high street showrooms.
Maker&Son expects to see its significant growth continue across the UK, US and Australia and they see other territories and product lines as inevitable. With this further growth will come the need to grow their family significantly. They want a senior HR professional to be part of the Global Management team, ensuring Maker&Son has rigorous HR systems across all its regions, protecting the culture and vision that has made it a success and ensuring the organisation continues to be a great place to work for their employees.
Based in West Sussex, the Global Head of People is a newly created role. It is going to be hands-on. Despite having a small team in the UK, you will be required to develop much of the HR infrastructure. You can expect to be involved in everything from the management of the day-to-day HR operations, embedding company values and driving change and engagement to contributing to the delivery of strategic objectives. What is key is:
- To create and lead on the People and Development strategy across 3 geographical regions,
- To be an active contributor on the Global Management Team and to assist in shaping and driving the overall global corporate strategy of Maker & Son through its people plan.
- To ensure all appropriate policies and processes are in place and to champion the role of HR within and across the organisation
- To grow and build a people and development function that fits the requirements of the business as it grows
Working with the support of a UK HR Manager and an HR Assistant the Global Head of People will take specific responsibility for the following:
- Translating key data into an effective and commercially focused HR and people strategy,
- Working with senior management and influencing them on the best course of action.
- Developing and continuously monitoring HR policies including the company handbook and codes of conduct such as inclusion, diversity and equal pay and agree adaptations to Global and local approaches
- Establishing departmental accountabilities for the range of HR functions from talent acquisition to health and safety compliance.
- Devising a robust global talent and recruitment strategy that supports the future business needs and oversee its implementation.
- To assess, understand and review the organization's resources globally and ensure that the structure and capability meets the business needs.
- Create and execute a learning and development strategy to reach a global employee base.
- Champion a performance culture and continuously review productivity and employee development while making recommendations for improvements
- Work both locally and globally to drive Employee Engagement.
- Give counsel and oversee complex employee relations issues such as grievance and disciplinary cases.
- Control the HR Budget and support the governance of total employee costs across the globe.
- Lead on special projects and communicate and direct on strategy and implementation
- Ensure legal compliance is met in all HR activities
- Challenge the management team where appropriate and suggest alternative paths
- Continuously review the responsibilities of the HR department and structure and build the team appropriately
The Successful Applicant
What our client is looking for in a Global Head of People and what is essential to demonstrate is:
- That you understand, and share, the vision, the passion and those values that underpin the success of Maker&Son.
- You are very comfortable and have experience partnering a global leadership team, ideally in a founder led business or start up and translating commercial strategy into an appropriate people strategy.
- An ability to work at pace and previous experience working in a fast growth business where you have designed a people strategy that was appropriate for the various International territories it supported
- Specific experience working in organisations where the focus is on engaging a consumer audience such as E-Commerce, a digitally focused consumer organisations, FMCG or Retail.
Additionally, you must be able to provide evidence of some or all of the below:
- Recent experience leading an HR Strategy or HR function as the Number 1 In HR.
- Confidence working with data to drive insights and inform decision making.
- An ability to establish credibility and influence at all levels.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of International human resources management.
- Experience working across different regions, ideally including the US.
- Comfortable in developing team members and empowering staff.
- Commercial acumen by partnering with the business to deliver commercially focused people strategies and a good overall understanding of company finances.
- Solid employment law knowledge and proven experience of applying it to a variety of HR situations
- Outstanding communication skills - both written and verbal
- An ability to thrive in an environment of constant change
- A proactive nature and an ability to always thinking ahead
- Excellent attention to detail
In terms of qualifications, a bachelor's degree as a minimum, ideally in business administration, human resources management, industrial relations, or law and / or CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development) qualified with evidence of continuous professional development
What's on Offer
As well as the chance to join a fast growing business in the retail and consumer sectors, at a time when you will have a huge influence over its success, our client is also offering a competitive base salary and package for this level of role.