- A fantastic opportunity to join at a new phase of growth
- Line manage two people
About Our Client
The Black Curriculum was founded in 2019 to address the lack of Black British history in the UK Curriculum. They believe that by delivering arts focused Black history programmes, providing teacher training and campaigning through mobilising young people, they can facilitate social change.
Their programmes are for all young people aged 8-16 and aims to equip young people with a sense of identity, and the tools for a diverse landscape. They are working towards changing the national curriculum and building a sense of identity in every young person in the UK.
The Head of Communications will lead on The Black Curriculum's overall communications strategy at an executive level. This role will also be responsible for managing a small comms team. The role will engage and implement a communications strategy in line with TBC's aims.
The Head of Communications will be responsible for the comprehensive planning and coordination of communications. Reporting to the Director of Operations this is a role for someone with advanced skills in both planning and delivering effective communications to a wide variety of audiences. The role will establish and hold a cutting edge and comprehensive communications strategy, and to roll this out with the buy-in of key stakeholders,
The post holder will set out a strategic, comprehensive and national focused communications plan and deliver this, ensuring that a coherent message runs through all communications, including the website and social media, publications, media and PR. Day to day, the role will then deliver key communications activities, hold 1-1's with the team and support on the policy objectives of The Black Curriculum.
The role significantly contributes to the impact and development of a new organisation with nationwide and international goals. You will oversee the communication division motivating and supporting staff to deliver an effective communications strategy.
Communications Strategy (30%)
- The Head of Communications will have responsibility for planning the Communications Strategy for The Black Curriculum, including planning how this is to be achieved via KPI's and setting timeframes for achieving this.
- Responsible for a coherent and planned approach to producing any publications within The Black Curriculum. Providing editorial support where required and in some cases, project managing the delivery of publications, to ensure a consistency of message whilst maintaining the individuality of each publication according to its audience.
- Within an overall strategy for communications; research, write and publish news stories about TBC and promote to key audiences.
Digital Content Creation and Management
- The role will hold oversight of The Black Curriculum website. There will be support available on technical matters such as programming or coding from an external IT support team and from external suppliers to ensure the technical integrity of the website.
Moderation of the website, including:
- Serving as Editor, managing a moderation process which will include other users
- Ensuring alignment with overall communications strategy
- Content creation
- Create and curate digital content including writing, digital photography and video, including our Youtube and TikTok channels
- Transform content created for print medium to be well-formatted for and successful in digital channels
- Collaborate with third party suppliers (if necessary) to improve content for digital platforms.
Social Media and Management (10%)
The role will have overall oversight of TBC's corporate presence on social media platforms, overseeing the content creation and planning for all social media activities, with the aim of providing coordination across different channels to utilise this medium more extensively within the brand identity of TBC.
Media and PR (20%)
This role will work closely with an external PR agency to plan and deliver proactive media relations campaigns, as well as work with them to react to emerging news stories when required:
- Develop and deliver a PR strategy with the agency, ensuring alignment between the agency and TBC's vision and values.
- Responsible for the day to day management of the contract and arrangements with the PR agency.
- Develop and manage media relations in collaboration with the PR agency.
- Work with third parties (e.g. Patrons) on delivery of PR activities.
The Successful Applicant
We are looking for someone who has devised a communications plan and then delivered it previously.
- Experience of writing, editing and producing written communications for targeted audiences.
- Experience of setting and working with branding guidelines.
- Understanding of the need for and value of a visual identity and branding.
- Solid professional experience required including experience producing digital content and managing social accounts for a small to medium sized organisation.
- Knowledge and experience of managing digital content management systems.
- Experience with social media platforms and management suites.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Excellent social communication skills in addition to the high level of written and verbal communication requirements
What's on Offer
This role is currently home based but will be 1 day a week from a London office. Currently there is work space in Somerset House.
Salary is £50-£55K