Head of Faculty Finance
Exciting Senior Level role with globally recognised Russell Group University
Responsibility for a £332m Faculty Finance Function
About Our Client
The University of Manchester is a truly global institution, with a reputation for education and innovation that resonates across the world as demonstrated by the most recent QS World Rankings, which ranked us 29th. A member of the prestigious Russell Group of UK universities, Manchester is one of the largest single-site universities in the UK, hosting nearly 40,500 students, and with more than 12,000 staff, we are one of the largest employers in Greater Manchester. We are committed to world-class research, an outstanding learning and student experience, and social responsibility in everything we do.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Use commercial acumen, developed through extensive post qualification experience in a senior financial management role, to take appropriate action to deliver budget results, and to ensure that the full financial implications of projects and initiatives, including financial risks, are fully understood and appropriately managed.
- Develop high quality, insightful management information and financial analysis to provide leadership to the faculty and enable sound decision making.
- Provide financial leadership and coaching to senior Faculty management to help them to develop a clear understanding of the drivers of business performance in order to enhance financial forecasting and decision making. More generally, lead competence building for senior management, academic and Professional Support Services colleagues in developing a culture of commercial awareness.
- Develop and analyse opportunities for business development and income generation.
- Lead and manage the Faculty finance team to develop individuals through coaching and performance management to ensure a professional, motivated, experienced and effective team delivering excellent service across all areas of Finance.
- Ensure and promote the continuous improvement of all characteristics of management accounting and reporting across the faculty to ensure efficient and effective delivery of financial planning, budgeting, forecasting and reporting activities.
- Ensure the local finance operations, including research finance, run efficiently and effectively and comply with all statutory, regulatory and governance requirements including University financial regulations, and to ensure up to date, accurate, and technically correct accounting.
- Ensure that the financial risks are managed and the financial performance and strategic direction of the Faculty are in line with the Universities strategic priorities.
- Lead and participate in Finance Directorate and University projects as required, to bring experience and knowledge of best practice from other organisations, including the commercial sector, to the project group for consideration.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidates will have:-
- A proven ability to lead, manage, develop and motivate a professional team.
- Significant relevant experience in a senior financial leadership role in a large, complex, devolved organisation.
- Experience of developing strategic planning models and raising strategic issues for debate.
- Experience of preparing and evaluating business appraisals.
- Experience of successfully managing change in a large organisation.
- Excellent financial analysis and interpretive skills, with ability to grasp the detail, whilst retaining the 'big picture'.
- Proven ability to challenge the status quo, make positive, effective changes and obtain results against a background of a challenging change programme.
Candidates will also be educated to degree level or equivalent and have a recognised accountancy qualification.
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. As black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) candidates are currently under-represented at this level in this area, we would particularly welcome applications from BAME applicants. All appointments will be made on merit.
What's on Offer
A competitive salary and benefits package