- Permanent Head of Finance- Accounting Opportunity
- Not for Profit Organisation based in Leeds
About Our Client
St. Anne's Community Services (St Anne's) is a charity that is committed to enabling people to live their best life. They believe that the people they support should live a life without limits.
Founded as a daytime shelter for homeless men in Leeds in 1971, they have expanded over the years to become the charity we see today. Their very first service was established to support some of society's most vulnerable people, and they have maintained this ethos, with the people they support at the centre of everything they do.
They are proud to support over 1,600 adults across the North of England, and as a 'not for profit' organisation, they are proud to reinvest every pound we earn back into the charity and the services they provide.
They have extensive experience and specialist skills in supporting individuals with complex needs. Their services are high quality, with over 95% of our CQC regulated services rated 'Good' or 'Outstanding', with other services with awards/ accreditations.
They are committed to supporting people to live their best life, as they believe that the people they support should have "a life without limits".
As the Head of Finance - Accounting, you will ensure the effective and efficient running of the finance team; ensuring controls are strong and effective; processes are fit for purpose; and all reporting is sufficiently detailed and insightful to guide optimal financial decisions. You will do this by doing the following:
- Develop the finance team such that they feel valued, have the appropriate skills and are therefore able to deliver on the expectations of their roles.
- Transform current processes and controls, through a series of projects, such they are fit for purpose and future proof.
- Develop systems and other ways of working to further aid the smooth running of the finance department and the wider organisation.
- Lead the year-end audit and production of statutory accounts, ensuring the accounts are robust, accurate and compliant with organisational policies, accounting standards and any other regulatory requirements.
- Ensure the month end is completed in a robust and accurate way within agreed timescales.
- Review and ensure the timely and accurate production of management accounts and other regular monthly reporting. Such that they give a full financial understanding of performance and enable appropriate decisions to be made.
- Ensure the balance sheet is reviewed periodically and there are a robust set of reconciliations and registers such that the position is understood and appropriately managed.
- Responsible for proactive and periodic cashflow monitoring and management, considering any cash investment decisions or other cash management strategies St Anne's may want to consider. Specifically ensuring that any loan funding covenants, and other requirements are delivered.
- Through the relevant manager ensure processes for sales invoicing, rent setting and debtor management are effective and timely. Ensure all billing is accurate.
- Through the relevant manager ensure processes for purchase invoicing and supplier payments are effective and timely.
- Through the relevant manager ensure processes for monthly and weekly payroll, as well as the appropriate returns, and reporting are effective and timely. Including any HMRC or pension requirements.
- Through the relevant manager ensure processes for purchasing and contract management are effective and timely.
- Ensure all purchase tenders are effectively supported on a timely basis in conjunction with our outsourced partner and business cases follow an appropriate and robust framework, considering value for money and any appropriate procurement rules.
- Maintain and develop the necessary finance internal controls and policies, as appropriate.
- Lead on finance focused internal audits and ensuring all recommendations and actions are followed up on and implemented.
- Lead on all taxation matters, from VAT returns through to optimising our tax position, supported by the appropriate manager and our advisors, as needed.
- Support with the production of reporting for SMT meetings, Committee meetings and Board meetings, as appropriate.
- Deputise for the CFO, including supporting delivering key priorities and attending key meetings as required.
This role is a key leadership role within finance, as well as across the organisation, and will be crucial in transforming financial processes and systems and developing the team, all in support of delivering our 5-year strategy.
The purpose of this role is to lead the finance accounting team, this includes responsibility for: reporting and management accounts, income management, procurement, accounts payable and payroll.
The role holder will develop the team, as well as the key controls and processes within the team, such that what the team produces is timely, accurate and fit for purpose, enabling the organisation to operate effectively.
The role holder will focus on process improvement and implement systems and procedures necessary for the efficient running of the finance department and the organisation generally.
The role holder will ensure the timely production of financial information, of sufficient quality, to enable the organisation, including the CFO, senior management team and Board of Trustees to understand the financial position and make optimal decisions for both the short and long term.
The role holder with operate as the financial gate keeper and ensure all relevant financial statutory and regulatory requirements are met.
The role holder will support and deputise for the CFO as appropriate, such that the overall key priorities of the team are delivered.
The Successful Applicant
- Professionally qualified accountant (CIMA/ACCA/ACA) with substantial post-qualified experience.
- A strong focus and background in financial control and process improvement, with a good understanding of technical accounting.
- Attention to detail, but with the ability to think strategically as needed.
- Excellent communication, team building and project management skills.
- A proactive and adaptable approach.
- Ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Experience of leading similar teams and/or a working knowledge of how to successfully run each of these types of teams.
- A good appreciation of what constitutes best practice in terms of systems and processes and the ability to identify and implement necessary changes.
- Experience of working in the health care, social care, housing or charity sector.
- A good working knowledge of any financial regulatory and taxation requirements.
- Experience of working in a fast-paced organisation.
- Degree educated.
- Full UK driving licence.
- Experience of Sage 200.
What's on Offer
- Salary up to £62,860 + £3,000 car allowance
- 37.5 Hours per week
- Leeds Central office- Morley
- 32 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free parking
- 5% employee + 8% employer pension contribution