Head of Financial Accounts
Lead and develop the financial accounts team for a University in London
Provide a highly rated financial accounting service
About Our Client
Since 1850, St Mary's mission has been to provide a high quality professional environment, inspired by its distinctive ethos and values. The University is an inclusive academic community on an exciting journey of transformation and growth, to benefit students, staff and the wider St Mary's community. As the University builds on its proud heritage, we are looking for exceptional people to help shape its progressive future.
The Head of Financial Accounts will report into the Finance Director leading a financial accounting team of 10. They will be responsible for all financial accounting governance processes including but not limited to:
- Deputising for the Director of Finance as appropriate to include attendance at certain University committees / groups
- Delivering an effective financial control framework including key financial policies and procedures, reconciliations, training and monitoring of compliance levels
- Enhancing the financial resilience of the University through development of a high performing team
- Leading on treasury management including production of short and medium term cash flow forecasts, working with the team and colleagues in Business Support to ensure sufficient levels of accuracy to guide cash investment and borrowing decisions
- Maximising the University's income through robust income collection procedures and effective credit control for tuition fees, commercial income, grants and other income streams
- Well controlled and seamless procure to pay processes
- Preparing annual audited financial statements, VAT, corporation tax returns and other reports submitted to external bodies
- Providing technical expertise on matters including reporting standards, taxation and liaison with external and internal auditors
The Successful Applicant
The successful applicant will be CCAB qualified and degree educated, preferably with a Higher Education background although this is not a prerequisite to success in the role. In addition to this, the Head of Financial Accounts will be expected to have the following competencies:
- Excellent communication skills: good at building relationships both internally and externally. They will be confident in working across all areas of the organisation with ability to influence senior management in order to drive change and improvements.
- The candidate will have previous professional experience managing teams within finance functions, a motivational manager who can deliver a positive team culture and good working ethos.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge as a leading technical expert on the University's finance matters.
- Highly organised, flexible and able to work under pressure to deadlines.
- Excellent ability to collaborate, negotiate and problem solve.
What's on Offer
Up to £67,500 dependent upon experience