Head of Financial Control
Fantastic opportunity to join a very high profile Public Sector organisation
Based in Central Cardiff
About Our Client
Companies House is an executive agency of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy employing around 1,000 staff. We maintain the public register of companies for the UK and provide corporate transparency, making the public register available online, free of charge, allowing individuals and businesses to make effective decisions about engaging with a company. Currently there are more than four million companies on the register, and we incorporate around 500,000 new companies every year.
Our aim is to be the best registry in the world, achieved by brilliant people working on brilliant systems delivering brilliant services. We are currently delivering an organisation-wide transformation programme focusing on a complete redesign of our digital services, a service model approach and culture shift. This change requires different skills, capabilities and mindset where adaptable, bold and curious behaviours are the norm and empowerment are encouraged and utilised.
Companies House values its people and their contributions and has created a sense of community where people seek to create strong connections. Our commitment to learning and development is exceptional, and we believe passionately in the employee experience with is prevalent through engagement, wellbeing and development which has resulted in Gold Investors in People and MIND index awards. We encourage professional development, celebrate success and live our values to effect real change.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Everyone in Companies House brings something different, and so will you.
The Companies House Finance team provides accurate and timely reporting of financial performance across the organisation and an advisory, challenge and support service to Boards, Service Owners and Cost Centre Managers. As we work to reshape for the future, we are strengthening our Finance team capabilities. Our aim is to put finance at the heart of Companies House decision-making - driving the agenda, not just keeping score.
The Head of Financial Control is an exciting new role in the reshaping of the Finance team. You will report to the Director of Finance and Commercial and work alongside the Head of Strategic Finance and Business Partnering.
You'll be influencing the organisation, setting out ways of working by:
- defining and controlling the financial stewardship (policy, controls and risk) of the organisation compliant with Government Finance Function, Public Value Framework and Managing Public Money guidance
- leading and sponsoring the provision of effective financial systems
- undertaking financial accounting and reporting internally and externally to government and regulatory authorities
- providing effective stakeholder payroll and penalties services
- Managing Finance team members.
The Director of Finance and Commercial oversees teams covering commercial contracts, customer accounts, efficiency, finance systems, financial and management accounting, payroll, penalties and procurement. Aligned to the Government Finance Vision, our Finance team provides a great place to work within a modern, innovative, and flexible workspace that drives collaboration, curiosity and innovation. You'll be a member of the Finance senior leadership team, role modelling exemplar behaviours and living the Companies House values.
You will also be part of Companies House Corporate Leadership Group, offering the opportunity to contribute to the wider running of the organisation, demonstrating strong corporate leadership and effective collaborative working with colleagues and peers.
The Successful Applicant
Companies House are looking for candidates with the following;
A qualified accountant (CA, ACA, ACCA or CIMA) with extensive financial accounting and management experience within an SME business/the Civil Service.
Sound and up to date knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards and able to integrate technical/legal pronouncements e.g. capitalisation into the organisation.
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to network and build relationships at all levels, and to lead decision-making with external advisors.
- Have the ability to drive and implement positive change projects.
- Have a customer service empathy and focus, and strong organisational and people management skills.
- Be able to communicate complex financial analysis to non-financial people.
- Show understanding of business strategy, business processes and activities and the underlying cost drivers.
- Have strong decision-making skills to balance resource, growth and control/risk trade-offs, to achieve cost effectiveness with quality of service, and to deputise for the Finance Director as required.
You will have experience:
- in Project Management within either an SME or civil service department/public body.
- in the development and implementation of finance process improvement and innovation.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
What's on Offer
A basic salary in the region of £58,873 - £67,301
Apart from a competitive salary and highly competitive contributory Civil Service Pension, we also offer a benefits package including:
- A generous 30 days annual leave (based on full time hours) in addition to public holidays
- Great work life balance with flexible and mobile working
- A pro-active approach to employee well-being that allows our employees to flourish and be their best at work
- Maternity, Adoption and Shared Parental Leave paid at full rate of pay for the 26 weeks of Ordinary Maternity leave, followed by an extra 13 weeks Statutory Maternity Pay and a further 13 weeks leave is also available which is unpaid. We offer 2 weeks statutory paternity leave
- Career development and progression - Career pathway options such as apprenticeships and recognised qualifications for a variety of professions are available;
- On site gym with Subsidised membership
- Free on-site car parking
- Up to 3 days Paid leave for volunteering opportunities