Head of Risk Management
Supporting the Group Financial Controller of the listed group.
Forming a key part of the Head Office finance team.
About Our Client
The Head of Risk Management is a key member of the Head Office Finance team, supporting the business as it seeks to take opportunities to deliver enhanced value, by setting frameworks to anticipate and mitigate potential risks to the Group's future success. The Head of Risk Management will have a deep knowledge of risk management and gain broad industry knowledge, to enable business to take advantage of value-creating decisions, operations and processes in an appropriately controlled manner.
The role will develop ERM structures, having assessed the System of Risk Management and Internal Control, including Entity Level Controls to ensure that significant emerging financial, operational and reputaional risks are identified at an early stage and for advising senior management, including the board on appropriate risk mitigation. The role will build risk and control awareness by helping senior managers embed robust risk management across all areas of the business.
Developing risk strategy and governance:
- Developing a high level risk management framework, outlining the roles and responsibilities from GMT through. Group functions, Divisions and Business Units. Document all risk related roles and responsibilities.
- Support the Board in its articulation of risk appetite, following the refresh of strategy in 2018.
- Together with the GMT, develop risk tolerance ranges and risk targets, and communicate these across the Group.
Risk assessment and reporting:
- Proactively providing risk management advice across the group, identifying emerging risks, analysing current risks and assessing their potential impact on the company.
- Manage the overall risk management process of the business including the design and implementation of the process for effective identification and assessment of risks throughout the business (e.g. operational and functional). With assessment considering the likelihood and potential impact (both financial and non financial).
- Reporting on key risks, including agreeing mitigating controls and and advising the board on appropriate risk management options.
- Overseeing risk reporting to the board on risk management best practice and providing updates on enhancements and improvements made to the process.
- Develop tools, processes and key risk indicators to monitor changes in the likelihood and impact of risks.
- Document formally defined reporting structures for the consideration and escalation of issues.
- Horizon scanning with senior management (Heads of Functions, GMT and Board).
- Work with internal audit to to align identified risks, appetite for risk and mitigating controls, including the monitoring and reporting on the effectiveness if the controsl and the impavt that this has on the overall risk assessment.
- Help managers at all levels across the organization ensure that risk management is embedded at an operational level within the business and that staff at all levels are aware of and manage risk as a core part of their responsibilities.
- Create training and development to build risk awareness and how risks can be effectively managed in the business, this should include an induction pack for all senior management.
Develop overarching control framework:
- Develop an over-arching control framework which clearly articulates the key internal risks across the value chain which may impact significantly on the Group's future success. The framework will define the core value-chain process maps, highlighting these key risks and the key controls to mitigate those risks.
The Successful Applicant
- Broad experience of risk management at a senior management level.
- Proven track record and ability to operate comfortably with stakeholders at a senior level (e.g. MD /FD / Heads of function, executive and non executive directors).
- Strong planning and project management experience.
- In depth knowledge of relevant legislation and an awareness of changes within the market.
- Displays honest and consistent behaviour to all levels and respects peoples' confidences.
- Has comprehensive breadth and depth of relationships, holding the respect and trust of others.
What's on Offer
£70,000 - £80,000 + Benefits