Head of Skills
Head of Skills
Skills, employment, policy
About Our Client
The Greater Birmingham & Solihull Local Enterprise Partnership (GBSLEP) is one of 39 Local Enterprise Partnerships set up by Government to drive economic development in England.
Established in May 2011, the LEP covers the geographical boundaries of the local authorities of Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock Chase, East Staffordshire, Lichfield, Redditch, Solihull, Tamworth and Wyre Forest.
- The Head of Skills (with partners and LEP officers) will develop interventions that drive increase in skills levels as they meet the needs of a growing economy. The role has a wider focus on addressing skills shortages and gaps that act as a brake on the productivity, future growth and wider prosperity of our economy.
- The successful candidate will also assume responsibility for the LEP's headline ambition to increase the cohort of new learners at NVQ Level 3 and above to 10,000 year-on-year by 2022-23
- Shaping, driving and supporting efforts to deliver economic development and increasing skills levels that benefits local communities within Greater Birmingham.
- You will work closely with partners including local authorities, business and training providers (including further education colleges and universities) to support work on developing higher level skills to meet the needs of the future of the local economy
- A key part of this role is developing external relationships to bring about change. This will include partnering with local authorities as well as other public and private sector partners, education providers and central government departments.
- The Head of Skills will provide leadership and guidance to a small team of policy professionals and bring successful partnerships to enable change.
The Successful Applicant
- Practical experience of skills and training programmes in either a local / regional government and/or private sectors setting
- Significant experience and knowledge/ understanding of local and national policy developments in relation to the economic growth agenda, LEPs and Combined Authorities
- Significant experience of working in complex organisations, and of working with senior private sector leaders, local and national politicians and officials
- Successful track record of working in partnership with ability to maintain productive and collaborative working relationship
- Experience of developing and implementing policies focused on economic growth
- Experience of successful project management including cross-departmental and inter agency / organisation working and team management
- Experience of preparing and presenting clear and persuasive presentations and reports to a variety of audiences including elected Members, business stakeholders, public sector partners and the public
- A coaching style of leadership and management that motivates and challenges team members to achieve their full potential
What's on Offer
£55,000 - £60,000 PA DOE (more may be available for an exceptional candidate)
Generous local government pension
29 days holiday
Great city centre location