Head of Tax
A newly created Head of Tax
An exciting organisation going through a significant period of growth
About Our Client
Metropolitan Thames Valley Housing (MTVH) is one of the UK`s leading providers of affordable housing, care and support services. With over 1900 employees and a portfolio of nearly 56,000 homes serving over 75,000 customers across London, the East Midlands, Southern and the East of England.
Metropolitan Thames Valley Housing are constantly changing, developing and improving the lives and environments for our customers. They value their people and the contributions they make to help them to achieve their priorities.
The Head of Tax will be responsible for development and implementation of the group tax strategy, being the key point of contact to the board for all tax matters. You will also have oversight for tax compliance and management of a Tax Accountant.
You will work closely with the business to minimize tax exposure and implement ways to reduce tax risk as well as managing the tax affairs across the entire group.
- Design and implement a tax strategy for the group
- Manage the tax relationship with HMRC
- Provide tax advice across the business particular to development on new schemes
- Identify areas of risk and work to minimize and mitigate those risks
- Oversight of tax compliance across the business
- Identify and implement opportunities for tax savings
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place
- Identify areas where change and improvement is required and implement that change
The Successful Applicant
Skills and experience required
You will have a strong sense of stakeholder awareness and be able to build quality relationships and rapport supporting new ways of developing and maintaining tax risks and opportunities.
Technically you will knowledge of tax strategy planning and will be able to interpret financial and systems data. A natural multitasker with a can-do attitude you will possess the ability to translate strategic plans into operational direction for your team
The successful candidate will possess a range of skills and attributes. Ideally you will hold a recognised Tax or Accounting qualification with ACA, CTA, ACCA or an equivalent body. More specifically you must be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of delivering improvements and optimise tax efficiencies
- Experience of managing and improve processes and develop and educate the business to ensure optimal tax benefits
- Experience of working in a tax role within a commercial professional environment at least at tax manager / senior manager level or higher
- Understanding of all tax disciplines to include both direct and indirect taxes
- Professional knowledge of current tax reporting requirements and timelines
- Relevant experience in a related field, including experience from within a construction/real estate/housebuilding group would be an advantage
- Expertise in VAT and/or property (SDLT) is desirable but not essential
- You will also need to be able to demonstrate; a customer focus, a desire to be accountable and deliver, to focus on service improvement, strong communication skills and ability to lead and inspire
- VAT experience is essential
What's on Offer
How they reward you
Their staff are as important to us as their customers. When working with them you will be introduced to a huge variety of benefits including:
- A unique benefits package that can be adapted to suit each individual
- The opportunity to choose from a wide variety of benefits which includes options around
- Health and Wellbeing Programme
- Employee Assistance
- Discounts with multiple retailers and many more
- An impressive Pension Scheme
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days