Health And Safety Advisor
To work for a Scottish Charity that provides valuable support
To work for an organisation where you will feel part of a team
About Our Client
For over twenty years this charity has been offering a full family support service for babies, children and young people with life-shortening conditions. This includes palliative care, family respite and support - through hospices, homecare services and hospital presence.
- Develop and maintain a robust Health and Safety Management System, ensuring all necessary arrangements are in place to develop a positive health and safety culture, and ensure roles and responsibilities are understood and implemented.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive set of Health and Safety policies and procedures, ensuring legal compliance and best practice at all times, and that these are regularly reviewed and updated.
- Provide advice regarding policy updates as required by legislation changes, ensuring all areas and activities of the organisation are comprehensively covered.
- Advise the board and accountable officer of organisational responsibilities and ensuring these are being property discharged. Consider corporate risks in relation to health and safety and feed into the overall corporate risk register.
- Develop a Strategic Health and Safety Action Plan to ensure full implementation of all policies and procedures and lead on developing an effective, positive and robust health and safety culture. Assist with the development of operational H&S action plans for directorates to embed arrangements.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance to support relevant staff to meet their responsibilities and help to address areas for improvement and ensure a culture of continuous improvement.
- Regularly review the plan, progress and provide updates to Steering Groups, Directors, Managers and the Board.
- To undertake auditing and compliance monitoring activities, where necessary also co-ordinating and assisting the completion of external audits of Health and Safety.
- To undertake and assist in inspections and reviews, verifying compliance and identifying any required actions or improvement areas.
- Review and support the completion of identified actions from risk assessments as necessary.
- Collate and maintain Health and Safety Compliance information for each site as relevant e.g. Legal Register, COSHH, LOLER, First Aid, Fire Risk Assessments, Legionella
- To develop and deliver Health and Safety training and support as appropriate, ensuring staff are aware of their responsibilities and obligations under health and safety legislation and organisation policies and procedures. (including Learnpro online training modules, fire evacuation and management training, safe use of work equipment, moving and handling etc)
- Manage the reporting of accidents and incidents reportable under RIDDOR, regularly reviewing and reporting all accidents/incidents and adverse events.
- To work with managers across the organisation to identify trends and areas of concern following review of incidents to contribute towards the creation of an increased safety conscious culture within the organisation.
- Regularly assist managers with post Health and Safety incident investigations reporting findings, conclusions and recommendations for corrective action to the relevant manager and to the Health & Safety Steering Group.
- To assist scheduling and co-ordinating the completion of site inspections.
- To assist with Display Screen Equipment Assessments offering advice where required and ensuring that any actions identified are put into place.
- Perform the role of System Owner for the development of the Sentinel Adverse Events system, ensuring process and reporting functionality continues to meet the organisations needs, developing the management information quality and use as a continuous improvement tool.
- Collate and maintain a database of all Health and Safety risk assessments and safe systems of work, to include completion of post incident risk assessments as required.
- With the support of the IT team, create systems and/or databases to aid the management of health and safety and the processes that support it.
- Authorised to research, evaluate and review existing and potential suppliers relating to safety.
The Successful Applicant
- Degree level education
- CMIOSH or equivalent Evidence of CPD
- Significant recent experience in a similar role involving the development of H&S management systems, policies and procedures and their implementation.
- Detailed knowledge of Health and safety legislation and the experience of translating the knowledge into practical solutions.
- Experience in dealing with the external authorities when required.
- Experience in auditing and inspections, e.g. HSG65 or OHSAS 18001.
- Environmental experience would be beneficial.
- Be commensurate with Microsoft Office suite and be PC literate.
- Able to demonstrate analysis and deduction skills in accident and incident investigation.
- Able to analyse and manage Health and Safety data to provide meaningful management information and action plans.
- Significant recent experience in a similar Health and Safety Role involving H&S management system development, implementation and auditing.
- Experience of influencing a positive health and safety culture and continuous improvement.
What's on Offer
FTC 18 Months - 24 Months
Opportunity to work for a leading charity that provides a valuable service
Excellent salary and benefits