Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
Be the driver in making a cultural step change
Join a global business driving innovation in its sector
About Our Client
Michael Page Manufacturing are proud to be partnering with Vaillant Group on an exciting role for a technically focused Health, Safety and Environmental Manager based from their site in Belper, Derbyshire
Who are Vaillant?
We at Vaillant Group are 13,000 colleagues from more than 50 countries who work every day for a better climate - for people at home and the environment. we work on large-scale, innovative, and strategic projects. And with small, everyday gestures so that we can all play our part.
At Vaillant Group, we can offer you excellent working conditions to harness your potential and provide great job satisfaction. Working for us makes you responsible for the future - your own, and that of our planet.
This role is a pivotal position for Vaillant Group and the role will cover the following:
- Writing and implementation of all statutory Health, Safety and Environmental systems, policies, procedures, and objectives focusing on the prevention of incidents.
- Continuously create a safe working environment for all employees, contractors, and visitors.
- Be an expert within the field of HSE for regulatory agency compliance.
- Communicate with regulatory offices as required (e.g. Local authorities, Health and Safety Executive) and maintain the systems to ensure that the business always complies with HSE requirements.
- Provide competent and timely advice to the senior leadership team on any HSE issues.
- Continually review internal policies and practices to ensure they are up to date with the latest regulatory requirements.
- Arrange hazard and risk assessments and audits of new or changed plant, process, and equipment, take the required actions based on the results.
- Lead and guide the team in the investigation of all HSE incidents or accidents and ensure the required records are completed and stored. Ensure lessons learned are captured, communicated and the HSE system updated as required for any such incidents.
- Prepare and chair the HSE Committee meetings in line with requirements.
- Be a coach to the team for the assessment and control of HSE. Lead the team and support the Environmental and H&S advisors.
- Continuously look for improvements and implement those HSE improvement opportunities.
- Identify HSE training requirements for all employees with the relevant functional leader
- Prepare and deliver internal and 3rd party audit requirements.
The Successful Applicant
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Considerable knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems, with evidence of developing systems and ongoing review.
- Solid knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental legislation and best practice.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with Local Authorities, Regulators and Planning.
- Strong knowledge of DSEAR and experience in leading a business through ongoing monitoring, reviews, audits, and improvement programs.
- Material knowledge of gases, COSHH, and experience in leading the business in managing its responsibilities.
- Sound knowledge of PUWER and LOLER requirements, experience working with heavy machinery and UKCA requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of Process Safety and experience in developing systems to monitor and improve business awareness and controls.
- Experience in leading a business in Hazard Identification, Risk Assessment and Method Statement.
- Experience in the development and management of an overarching Risk Register and providing clear direction to the senior leadership team.
- Experience in HSE training and monitoring.
- Strong auditing knowledge and skills.
- An ability to influence all levels of the organisation to improve health, safety, and environmental performance, strong, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Essential to be a self-starter and able to act on own initiative.
- A bachelor's degree or higher in Health and Safety, Engineering, or related engineering/chemical/technical field.
- NEBOSH Diploma essential.
- Chartered Member of IOSH.
- Professional Environmental certification is desirable.
- Minimum of 15 years' experience in HSE in a manufacturing environment, including in leadership positions.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the UK HSE regulations and policies.
What's on Offer
- Competitive Salary
- Subsidised private healthcare
- Flu vaccinations
- Bike to work scheme
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised restaurant
- Extensive training for all employees
- International development programmes
- Generous pension scheme
- Wellbeing programme