- Highly strategic and innovative role with National Grid Partners
- Opportunity for career progression
About Our Client
National Grid Partners (NGP) was launched by National Grid Plc both to "disrupt itself" and ultimately to advance the energy systems of tomorrow. As the Venture Investment and Innovation arm of National Grid Plc, NGP is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world, championing both the potential of energy as well as entrepreneurs who have an innovative vision for Energy and IT.
NGP's purpose is to create a smarter, renewable, clean-energy future and they do this by incubating and investing in both seed-stage and developed start-ups; connecting energy and emerging technologies; supporting innovation in new businesses and instilling a more commercial culture into National Grid.
The portfolio currently includes over 37 companies, of which NGP has been lead investor in over 50% of those deals. NGP are also an investor in four strategic venture funds. The portfolio of companies sit within 6 main areas; IOT & Grid Modernization, Cloud & Edge, AI & Analytics, Security, Smart Grid and Energy Management.
Due to continued growth, National Grid Partners is looking to recruit an Innovation Manager to join the team. Reporting into the UK Innovation Director, the remit of the role is wide with the Innovation Manager expected to strategize, visualise, set-up, track and support the delivery of a disruptive innovation programme across National Grid Plc in the UK. This will include staying up to date with changes in the energy, technology and start-up landscapes as well as developing strategies and initiatives to address and deliver National Grid's decarbonisation ambitions. The Innovation Manager will engage regularly with a range of stakeholders across the regulated National Grid businesses as well as the broader innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
The Innovation Manager will lead the development of new initiatives from the very beginning of problem identification, ideation and customer discovery through to business model validation. They will develop business propositions, technical solutions and create compelling pitches to the investor and start-up community.
The Innovation Manager will:
- Maintain a close eye on emerging technologies and business models and their application within the context of climate change and the evolving global economic, political, research and energy environment
- Develop an understanding of how macro trends impact innovation and technological evolution
- Ideate, develop and implement new technology innovations and business models that drive value to National Grid
- Develop and maintain a Portfolio focusing on disruption for both the regulated and unregulated businesses under National Grid
- Engage with customers, employees and other stakeholders actively throughout the process, conducting customer-discovery interviews and using a series of prototypes to learn, test and refine concepts
- Work with internal teams on proper hand-off and operationalisation of innovation initiatives.
The Successful Applicant
To be successful in your application, you must have the following skills, experience and qualifications:
- Energy sector experience (utilities, oil & gas or renewables) and a solid understanding of / significant interest in the UK energy ecosystem and trends
- Consulting and / or engineering experience would be advantageous
- Proven stakeholder engagement skills across a diverse base
- Demonstrable commerciality and entrepreneurial spirit
- Proven ability to explain complex, novel ideas in a simple form to all levels within an organisation as well as venture capitalists
- You must be able to be on site in Warwick c3 days per week.
What's on Offer
Based in Warwick with hybrid working opportunity.