Interim General Counsel
Rare GC level role working for a reputable organisation
About Our Client
Working for client in the financial sector - a major provider of asset management you will be required to provide advice on a broad range of financial/asset management and corporate services transactions.
Looking for an interim General Counsel for a 12-month maternity cover.
The role will reporting to the CEO, you will ensure that the company always operates within the law, offer counsel to senior management and the Board on legal issues, create an effective guardian of the organisation and challenge and facilitate business strategies development.
As a member of the senior executive team the successful candidate will ensure legal compliance and limit legal risk exposure and will have solid experience of providing legal advice to the board, senior and mid-level executives
- Provide expert and strategic legal advice to the senior management team and the Board across all asset classes.
- Set internal governance policies and manage the legal impact of external factors.
- Provision of pragmatic, strategic and business focused legal advice to seek to mitigate/optimise risk in respect of all matters within remit with a strong view of legal, financial, regulatory, conduct and reputational risks.
- Setting relevant internal policies and standards, manage and provide oversight of legal impact of external factors disputes relating to asset management services and operations.
- Strategic input to relevant risk management forums including inputs from stakeholders and sharing outputs, engagement in industry bodies, engaging with regulators and government and supporting responses to consultations and proposed legislative change.
- Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate legal risks.
- Create associations of trust and respect with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, politicians, clients) as appropriate.
- Dealing with company secretarial matters.
- Managing legal budget and the relationship with outside counsel.
- Handling ad hoc queries from the business, supporting the deal teams and managing contentious issues.
- Develop and provide training and legal updates to the business on various areas of the law and regulatory matters.
- Draft and implement/update legal and regulatory policies and guidance across the business.
The Successful Applicant
- Must be a qualified solicitor or barrister with experience in managing complex financial products.
- Must have previously worked for an FCA regulated busy and have strong knowledge of FCA regulations.
- Proven interim general counsel experience within an in-house environment.
- Experience in a financial/asset management services environment would be a significant asset.
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate, financial, litigation, employment law, etc).
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organisations.
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives.
- Well versed in how business operates and with financial acumen.
- Experience of team management.
- Good working knowledge of the UK regulatory framework for financial/asset management services.
- Experience of negotiating IMA's/ISDA's/GMSLA's, alternatives and deal documentation.
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills.
- First class interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks.
- In exchange the company offers a very challenging, rewarding and collegiate environment.
- Must be happy to work on site in the West Midlands
What's on Offer
Working for an excellent organisation in a senior capacity.