Lawyer - Public Sector
Do you have expereince working within the public sector?
Looking for a permanent role?
About Our Client
- Provide professional advice and presentation to the Chief Constable in relation to civil applications made in magistrates and county courts to deter offending, gang-related drug dealing and violence and other anti- social behaviour, and to prevent risk harm and threats to members of the public.
- Investigate claims made against the Chief Constable by taking statements, gathering evidence, preparing written reports, complying with court directions and preparing and progressing case files / paperwork to limit liability against the client.
- Advise Chief Officers and senior managers on the interpretation of legislation, case law and other matters, relating to all areas of police business including operations, litigation, property disputes, licensing, firearms, and media matters, in order to provide full and accurate legal advice.
- Manage a personal caseload, including gang injunctions, domestic violence protection orders, sexual offender orders, closure orders, disclosure, Anti-Social injunctions, through the full legal processes including all necessary advocacy before the Courts or, if necessary, briefing counsel where applicable, making all necessary decisions for the progress of the case to either a final full hearing or a negotiated or arbitrated decision, as allocated by the Force Solicitor in order to protect the best interests of the Force and obtain best value.
- Prepare, draft and sign off documents which include applications, court orders, consent orders, correspondence, briefs, reports and file notes as required by the Force Solicitor.
- Provide advice as required to members of the Force in all matters of law and provide guidance as required, working with external specialists wherever appropriate and necessary, to ensure decisions taken by the Force
are in accordance with the law and will stand up to external scrutiny.
- Maintain knowledge of all the various laws, guidelines and codes of practice relevant to the police service in order to provide full and accurate legal advice to others as necessary.
The Successful Applicant
- The post holder must have the necessary qualifications and rights of audience of a solicitor or barrister with a sound, proven track record of providing operationally focused legal services and advocacy in the magistrates court and/or the county court. Experience in one or more of the following areas of law crime, police and/or regulated activity.
- The post holder must have significant personal motivation and drive, strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- A high level of diplomacy is required as the post holder will be dealing with a wide range of legal representatives, officers of all ranks and members of the public.
- The post holder must have IT skills, including email, word, excel.
- Willingness to travel for work and there will be a requirement for occasional weekend working on a rota basis
- Mandatory Skill(s)
- Required to have to undertake the post: Qualified Barrister or Solicitor with rights of audience in the Magistrates and County Courts.
What's on Offer