Mechanical Design Engineer
Fantastic design role within a Consumer Product Manufacturer
Iconic British Manufacturer
About Our Client
My client is an established and iconic British brand synonymous with quality and innovation since 1977. They are a business in growth. Results in 2014 showed profit growth for the company in a decade. 2015 has further built on this success, and the recent purchase of another company, heralds a new era for the company. My client has even greater ambitions for 2019, driven by New Product Development supported by strong operational and sales capabilities. They are based in TunbridgeTunbridge Wells and looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer.
This role sits within the Technical and Compliance department which is of vital importance to the company, to help maintain current product platforms, and support the New Product Design team where necessary.
Main Duties/Responsibilities for the Mechanical Design Engineer
Project responsibilities will be focused primarily on Current Product Development with support for other areas of the business (including Tactical Customer Projects and New Product Development).
- Investigate current product issues & define solutions.
- Write, and support writing of, Product Design Specifications (PDSPDS).
- Concept design and layout of showering products to meet the functional and cost requirements.
- Communicate ideas with drawings, sketches, support with any technical calculations using engineering theory.
- Work with Industrial Designers to ensure all appearance and ergonomic requirements are met (where appropriate).
- Design Proof of Principle and Prototype models.
- Organise subcontracting the manufacture of models.
- Set-up tests, fixtures and procedures for testing.
- Test, and arrange testing of, current products to establish root cause of issues.
- Test models, develop and report.
- Detail development to achieve functional requirement and allow manufacture and assembly of components.
- Define materials to be used in designs and the manufacturing processes to create them.
- Specify components in a design that can be sourced from a supplier - liaise and communicate with suppliers.
- Work with other departments and suppliers as required, to ensure a smooth transition through manufacturing of product changes/solutions into production.
The Successful Applicant
Person Specification / Core Competencies:
- Excellent track record in design engineering with a proven track record.
- Good knowledge in the design of plastic injection moulded components for small to medium volume manufacture.
- Good working knowledge of plastics and injection mould tooling.
- Good working knowledge of other manufacturing processes and tooling i.e. die-castings and machined parts (aesthetic & functional applications).
- "Hands-on" - building of prototypes and product testing in the lab.
- Familiarity with electroelectro mechanical design including PCB'sPCB's, switches, solenoids, motors etc.
- Knowledge of tolerance analysis and clearance and fits review.
- Good design/engineering qualification to degree level (2:1 or above) from a recognised University.
- Specific track record on NPDNPD through to manufacturing and production.
- Track record of working in a high performance and fast paced environment.
- Creative, solution driven with analyticalanalytical underpinning - applies thinking quickly.
- Applies process and common sense to get to desired outcomes.
- Ability to appreciate and prioritise key issues.
- Good understanding of design engineering, basic mechanical principles, electronics and how showering products work.
- A thirst to learn and engage with teams and people of different backgrounds.
- High level of general communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good organisational skills.
- High standards on quality, responsive to teams around them.
- Good sketching skills and ability to articulate ideas on paper.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to multimulti task - must be able to work on more than one project at any given time.
- Be willing to share knowledge for the benefit/development of others.
What's on Offer
Apart from an excellent opportunity, the right individual will get a base salary between £35,000 and £40,000 + benefits.