Mechanical Design Engineer
Mechanical Design Engineer in South East London
Join an expanding and innovative design and manufacturing business.
About Our Client
My client is a market leading and innovative design and manufacturing business in South East London.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will have the following responsibilities:
- Investigate current product issues & define solutions.
- Write, and support writing of, Product Design Specifications (PDS).
- Concept design and layout of showering products to meet the functional and cost requirements.
- Communicate ideas with drawings, sketches, support with any technical calculations using engineering theory.
- Work with Industrial Designers to ensure all appearance and ergonomic requirements are met (where appropriate).
- Design Proof of Principle and Prototype models.
- Organise subcontracting the manufacture of models.
- Set-up tests, fixtures and procedures for testing.
- Test, and arrange testing of, current products to establish root cause of issues.
- Test models, develop and report.
- Detail development to achieve functional requirement and allow manufacture and assembly of components.
- Define materials to be used in designs and the manufacturing processes to create them.
- Specify components in a design that can be sourced from a supplier - liaise and communicate with suppliers.
- Work with other departments and suppliers as required, to ensure a smooth transition through manufacturing of product changes/solutions into production.
The Successful Applicant
- Proven track record in design/mechanical engineering.
- Engineering qualification to degree level or equivalent.
- Knowledge of 'Design for manufacture', 'Design for assembly' and specification for manufacture.
- Able to diagnose root causes of failures & implementing solutions (including lab testing).
- Good knowledge in the design of plastic injection moulded components for small to medium volume manufacture.
- Good working knowledge of plastics and injection mould tooling.
- Good working knowledge of other manufacturing processes and tooling i.e. die-castings and machined parts (aesthetic & functional applications).
- Good working knowledge of electro mechanical design including PCB's, switches, solenoids, motors etc.
- Knowledge in the management of BOM's, 3D & 2D technical drawings within the context of a structured NPD process.
What's on Offer
£35,000 - £45,000 + Benefits