Mechanical Design Manager
Mechanical Design Manager in London.
Join a market leading design and manufacturing business.
About Our Client
My client is a market leading design and manufacturing business in London.
The Mechanical Design Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Work with the Production Engineering NPI department to agree priorities for new equipment.
- Offer technical support and problem-solving skills to Production and the shop floor teams.
- Work with the Design team to provide feedback regarding Design for Manufacture principles.
- Maintain working relationships and strengthen feedback loops between your department and the Quality Assurance and Customer Service departments to safeguard new products from known issues.
- Design tooling and equipment to achieve production of new products.
- Where appropriate, provide solutions that are based on the latest manufacturing technology; research new technologies, assess their suitability and ensure effective adoption.
- Project manage the solution deliverables within the gated NPI APQP process. Ensure that realistic timelines are planned and kept to by your team, communicate progress and KPIs.
- Review and approve your team's engineering drawings and technical documents for release. Instil BS8888 and uphold strict drawing control practices.
- Ensure that your team's designs supplement or advance current jigging and tooling practices.
- Identify and liaise with suitable suppliers, produce CAPEX budgets and business cases, produce requirement specifications, negotiate new machinery purchases and manage their delivery.
- Assist with process FMEAs and risk management within the production environment.
- Work closely with Production Engineering teams to ensure that new equipment is effectively handed over; assist with validation trials and general productionisation.
The Successful Applicant
- Strong background in mechanical design and engineering, especially in implementing jigs, fixtures and tooling solutions.
- Proficient in 3D CAD software, especially SolidWorks, to produce intelligently modelled parts, assemblies and engineering drawings.
- A practical understanding of modern manufacturing processes such as automation, CNC, digitally controlled equipment, CMM or robotics.
- Able to apply lean principles and other manufacturing theories.
- Project management skills and able to influence projects across different departments. Run projects to good project management principals. Incorporate timelines and deadlines into your team's daily life. Ensure that all stages of the project are given the correct attention, particularly problem definition, concept selection, validation, handover and lessons learnt.
- Strong leadership skills with a desire to provide strategic guidance to your team.
What's on Offer
£45,000 - £50,000 + benefits