- Incident Response, triage, patch management, accreditation
- Security BAU with possible research projects within security
About Our Client
UEA is a world leading research institution which is based on a campus that provides top quality academic, social and cultural facilities to over 17,000 students. UEA is one of six organisations that together forms the Norwich Research Park (NRP) Partnership; home to nearly 3,000 scientists working in several world ranked institutions and a world leading centre for environment, health and plant science research. At UEA we come together from different fields to learn, innovate, collaborate and help create a better future.
Operational IT Security Manager - UEA - £43434 - £50296Main Responsibilities Universal Security Log Management The role-holder is responsible for sourcing appropriate log data from across the IT estate. Access to this data will include working with other operational teams as they will have the required expertise in data extraction. Detailed responsibilities include:
- Manage the digestion of log data from source systems into central log management.
- Maintain roadmap for future processing of logs to maximise coverage and work with other operational teams to create a plan.
IT Security Monitoring and Alerting The role-holder is responsible for the monitoring of security log data in order to discover suspicious activity:
- Development of scripts and rules to highlight events needing investigation
- Create alerts/incidents of suspicious activity for further investigation.
- Collaborate in the maintenance and development of the University's IT security monitoring systems (with the Information Security and Architect teams).
Incident triage and management The role-holder is responsible for leading the initial triage and initial investigation of suspicious activity:
- Process alerts and perform triage, so that security incidents are appropriately identified.
- Initial management of incident investigations and either bring these to a conclusion or hand over of the most serious incidents to the Information Security team.
Training & Awareness Delivery The role-holder is responsible for maintaining and improving awareness of cyber-security:
- Maintain training and awareness programme plan for delivery primarily to IT and by exception across the University.
Patch Management The role-holder is responsible for monitoring and reporting on the overall patching status of IT systems across the IT estate
- Overall responsibility for the patch management process
- Working with IT Systems owners to ensure and maintain regular patching of all IT systems
- Create summary reports for senior management, including the Director of IT and IT Leadership Team on the overall patch status
Vulnerability Management The role-holder is responsible for mitigating the risks associated with system updates and patches across the IT estate:
- Overall responsibility for the vulnerability management process and collaboration with other operational teams in the collection of vulnerability data.
- Report vulnerabilities to operational teams and others, and work collaboratively to create a plan to address.
- Create summary reports for senior management, including the Director of IT and IT Leadership Team.
Accreditation Management The role-holder is responsible for maintaining the currency of UEA accreditations:
- Maintain relevant accreditations (for example, cyber essentials, PCI).
- Create and manage on-going plans, in conjunction with other operational teams, to ensure current accreditations are maintained and new accreditations are achieved.
The role-holder will report to the Assistant Director of Infrastructure Operations who will set and monitor objectives. It is expected that there will be regular meetings to assign work and feedback on progress. The role-holder will be expected to work independently on agreed targets, ensuring that deadlines are met.
The Successful Applicant
Operational IT Security Manager - UEA - £43434 - £50296Ideal experience includes:
Expert experience of LogRhythm, NXlog, Tenable and Snort, specifically the interaction of the products in an HEI environment.
Demonstrable experience of managing IT security monitoring systems.
Demonstrable experience of managing organisational compliance matters.
Demonstrable experience of managing information security matters (or related functions such as IT audit or risk management).
Previous experience of participation in strategy and policy implementation.
Previous experience of training course design and delivery.
Previous experience of procedure design and implementation.
Expert knowledge of network and server operational systems and software.
Expert knowledge of software exploits and vulnerabilities.
What's on Offer
Operational IT Security Manager - UEA - £43434 - £50296
Not for profit and charities***This advert closes as of 12am Monday 22nd November 2021***'To find out more about working at UEA please click here'