Established, specialist product, welding and fabrication business
Newly created Operations Director position
About Our Client
Altron Communications Equipment Ltd is an SME, principally a steel products manufacturer, which designs, develops, manufactures, finishes and distributes its products throughout the UK and worldwide. The main area of the business operates in the niche CCTV market for which Altron has developed its comprehensive range of CCTV mounting products over the past 25 years. The subcontract area of the business, trading under the 'Swelco' name, produces components and simple fabricated assemblies in mild steel, stainless steel and aluminium for OEM's and steel fabricating/manufacturing companies covering a wide range of industry sectors. Its key processes are Laser Cutting, Press Braking, Fabrication (MIG and TIG wielding) and finishing/Powder Coating. Components used in the Altron CCTV product ranges are also produced in house.
The running of the company is undertaken by two Directors, one of which is the principle shareholder who has developed the business since 1992, the other being the current Managing Director who has been in place since 2006.
Duties and responsibilities will include but not limited to:
The Operations Director is a new Director position brought about by the retirement of a Senior Manager and the need to increase Director level capacity to enable the progression and development of the company.
The Operations Directors role requires someone of suitable experience and ability who will be able to see through existing initiatives and fully develop all Operational areas to enable the ongoing development and controlled growth of the company.
- As the Operations Director you will take full responsibility for the operations of the company to include, Production, Finishing, Distribution, Planning, Purchasing, EHS, Quality, Site and facilities
- Operational costs and controls, Labour costs and controls, Control of budgets
- Achieving KPI targets
- Planned progression of key area
- Recruitment, training and development of staff
- Communicate business and Company issues to direct reports and engender a good team spirit
- Ensure targets are set within the operational areas to meet strategic targets and plans
- Deliver cost effective capital expenditure programs
- Optimise labour and staffing levels
- Direct Health, Safety and Environmental activities to ensure compliance with current and future legislative requirements
- Comply with internal quality controls and ISO QMS
- Produce and implement development plans covering operational areas and staff
- Maintain and improve customer service levels
- Maintain and improve direct labour costs percentages and cost of production and distribution
- Strive for continuous improvement in processes and practices
The Successful Applicant
As Operations Director your skills and experience should include:
- Ideally Degree qualified or HNC/HND in Mechanical or Structural Engineering
- Experience within a manufacturing environment where welding, fabrication and manual methods of production have been the main processes
- Experience within automated machine based production environment (not high volume or automotive)
- Experience of working with a galvanised products highly desirable
- Must have spent a significant portion of career within an own product manufacturing business
- Experience with product delivery using own transport fleet or through close cooperation with sub-contract haulier
- Proven and demonstrable experience with people engagement
- Extensive working knowledge of Health and Safety requirements of a manufacturing facility, with the ability to promote a strong Health and Safety culture
- Ability and confidence to drive improvements in facilities and maintenance
- Should have held a similar position before or be able to demonstrate a high level of competence in the required areas
- Ability to add value, reduce costs and make business improvements
- Strong communication skills
What's on Offer
Circa £75,000, pension, healthcare, company car.