Principal Civil Engineer
An opportunity to work for a world leading business
About Our Client
Our client is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. They work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Principal Civil Engineer
Would you like to play a key role providing civil engineering assurance in support of our submarines manufacturing facility? We currently have a vacancy for a Principal Civil Engineer at our site in Barrow-in-Furness.
As a Principal Civil Engineer, you will be working within the Civil & Structures department of the Site Engineering Technical Authority Team reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager. The primary role of the Site Engineering Technical Authority Team is to provide engineering (electrical/mechanical/civil and structural) support and guidance to area Engineering Authorities, Projects and Services teams for Site & Facilities. The main aim is to afford assurance that engineering designs for site and facilities equipment and installations comply with relevant standards, statutory regulations and safety requirements. Specific tasks include giving technical advice, identification of technical requirements, providing technical solutions, review of designs, writing technical reports, conducting investigations and carrying out audits of installations/documentation.
This role will provide you with a good variety of engineering projects to work on which will involve engaging with relevant stakeholders, departments and external contractors. We fully support our staff in their professional development and this role offers potential for career progression in the future.
- Ensuring that all new or modified assets are compliant with relevant current standards for intended use and meet with stakeholder requirements
- Ensuring that nuclear related assets on the Barrow Licensed Site are justified to meet the requirements of the Nuclear Site Licence
- Establishing and agreeing stakeholder requirements (and if applicable Nuclear Safety Functional Requirements) for facilities and equipment
- Production of reports, technical specifications and Statement of Requirements (SoR) documents, as well as the production of special operating procedures and documentation
- Providing advice to other disciplines, maintainers and site committees on technical issues and requirements to meet nuclear, HS&E and other relevant legislation
- Review of design proposals for both new assets and for major modifications
- Assisting in the project management of installations and commissioning of new and modified assets where discipline knowledge is required
- Overseeing consultants and contractors who supply specialist analysis and design services or installations
- Amending design substantiation reports and producing safety justification documentation to support the safety case for Nuclear Related site facilities and equipment and obtaining authorisation through due process
The Successful Applicant
Your skills and qualifications as a Principal Civil Engineer:
Degree, or equivalent, in a Civil/ Structural Engineering (or closely related) discipline
Experience in a civil/structural engineering role
Experience of technical document writing and report-building
MS office experience
Registered with an Engineering professional institute - chartered or working towards
Delivery within a Nuclear Environment to relevant ONR License Conditions or similar highly regulated business
Ability to produce civil / structural designs to meet current standards
What we're looking for in you:
You must be a resilient individual with good leadership skills and be able to successfully build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. You must also possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to be able to explain technical subjects to non-specialists, as well as other engineers.
What's on Offer
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.