Procurement Manager (Infrastructure) - Peterborough
An excellent opportunity to get into government procurement
An opportunity to test your procurement and commercial skills
About Our Client
Central Government. Ministerial Body.
The Procurement Manager (Infrastructure) - Peterborough will report to a Category Manager (G7). This job description is generic and may apply to all Category Officer posts. The post-holder may be asked to work (at an agreed level) across a number of different commercial areas within the organisation.
- Lead or participate in delivery of projects, procurement and contract management roles across the full commercial life cycle, at the appropriate level providing functional / specialist input to improve ways of working and business change & efficiency.
- Be responsible for explaining specialist commercial guidance to operational teams in order to influence compliance with policy / legislation / best practice ways of working and contribute to the delivery of business plans.
- Keep up to date on changing legislation / best practice externally, to inform internal priorities and appropriate alignment.
- Contribute to the development of policy / process at national / local level and monitor and advise on effective implementation in the business, in line with environmental targets.
- Build and sustain effective relationships with operational customers to understand issues and provide effective response / steer for operational needs.
- Be responsible for the delivery of contracts such that sustainable impacts and opportunities are identified and managed throughout the commercial lifecycle.
- Mentor and coach others on commercial procedures, practices and techniques equipping them with the knowledge and skills to deliver their work in an effective and efficient manner
- Manage team members to deliver results on time, to required quality standards and cost to fulfil the business plan and achieve / support environmental goals.
- Maximise the efficient and effective use of resources (including electronic sourcing) and people in order to ensure that all activities are completed to time, cost and quality targets.
- Support the development of sub-category and category plans and develop own market category knowledge and expertise
The Successful Applicant
- The following experience is essential to this post and will be tested at sift and interview.
- An accomplished Commercial professional with a track record of setting high standards and delivering results in a complex and demanding environment
- Experience at influencing Commercial decisions at an operational level
- A proven manager with experience of leading strategic contract award negotiations and resolving dispute resolutions through negotiation
- Demonstrable experience within a challenging and/or complex commercial environment
- Working with stakeholders in a commercial environment and being able to influence and constructively challenge when necessary.
- Building and maintaining strong and productive working relationships with stakeholders and suppliers.
- Making effective decisions from analysing financial and non-financial information and identifying key risk and options and then making recommendations to senior colleagues.
- Communicating confidently and concisely. Effectively communicating with a wide range of stakeholders (at all levels) both in a technical and non-technical environment.
- Delivering improvements to ways of working and embedding change.
- Although not essential, we would prefer you to be fully qualified MCIPS or IACCM. If this is not applicable then we will be looking for robust evidence of equivalent experience.
- Other academic or professional qualifications, such as degree, Prince2, Lean or APM qualifications would be of significant interest as well.
What's on Offer
- CIPS sponsorship
- Time to study
- Civil Service Pension
- Promotion opportunities
- An excellent and agile working environment
- Some home working