Product Development Director
Lead a talented Product Development Team to create innovative products
Work collaboratively with clients and technical specialists
About Our Client
Technical Absorbents Limited (TAL) is a leading manufacturer and supplier of materials for absorption of aqueous fluids. A speciality operation, within a large international conglomerate, the facility has grown in order to meet increasing global demand for its products. Business growth has continued through 2020 despite the challenges posed by COVID-19.
TAL's strength is built around its established unique Super Absorbent Fibre (SAF™) technology. The product range is used in a diverse range of global markets, including medical, cables, food packaging, hygiene, apparel and filtration.
The company has also become heavily engaged in the design and manufacture of fabrics and yarns containing the unique superabsorbent fibre. These are manufactured in-house and via a network of global converters. Developing this area of the business is at the heart of TAL's growth strategy. This will be achieved by a combination of proactive R&D, collaborative research projects with customers and application specific innovations. A dedicated product development team supports this strategy. This team, led by the successful Product Development Director is critical to the continued growth of the business.
Operating out of the UK Headquarters in Grimsby, you will join a committed and supportive team, working together to accelerate growth. The Product Development Director is part of the senior leadership team, reporting directly to the General Manager. Building on your skills and industry connections and those of the current team you will identify opportunities to further develop TAL's world beating SAF™ fabrics technology while implementing market leading and innovative product development approaches and systems.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Setting Long term strategic direction for product development activities.
- Providing expertise in R&D, product development, asset management (local and 3rd party convertors) and value chain delivery to support business strategy.
- Effectively balancing commercial priorities and resource availability to deliver multiple development projects concurrently.
- Utilising and growing upon your current experience and knowledge of nonwoven and yarn production technologies to identify areas for further development
- Leading the talented product development team, currently consisting of 3 technical specialists
- Managing key SAF™ fabric customer accounts (existing and potential) and supporting the setting, management and delivery of annual sales budgets and targets aligned with the Commercial team
- Supporting the supply chain function with existing product requirements and taking an active role in the introduction of new suppliers where necessary in line with new product development portfolio requirement
- Guiding customers and the wider TAL business through the development and execution of production trials and product certifications.
The Successful Applicant
You will have a collaborative and team-centred approach. You must be able to adapt your communication style to fit your audience, effectively managing client and internal stakeholder relationships.
The successful Product Development Director will demonstrate:
- Significant experience in the leadership of technical, R&D and/or product development teams.
- Previous exposure to nonwoven fabric and yarn production methodologies and products.
- A proven track record in leading the development of innovative and commercially successful products through the entire product development lifecycle.
- A formal qualification in a technical discipline.
- Excellent project & supply chain management skills. Ideally, backed up by a formal qualification.
- Previous experience producing products for the Medical, Hygiene, Food Packaging or Filtration sectors, ideally incorporating textiles or synthetic materials.
- An understanding of R&D grant applications and tax benefits, combined with intellectual property law and patent application experience.
What's on Offer
A competitive starting salary and employment package