Product Development Director
Lead a talented Product Development Team to create innovative products
Work collaboratively with clients and technical specialists
About Our Client
For over 20-years, Grimsby based Technical Absorbents Ltd (TAL) has been at the forefront of the fibrous superabsorbents industry with its unique Super Absorbent Fibre (SAF™) technology. SAF™ can rapidly absorb 200 times its own weight in water and 60 times its own weight in saline extremely quickly and is used globally in a wide range of applications, such as medical, cable, food packaging, hygiene, apparel and filtration. Although SAF™ remains at the heart of the business, it is the wide range of washable and disposable SAF™ fabrics that are now capturing the imagination of product designers.
The facility has undergone a number of capacity expansions in order to continue to meet growing global demand for the fibre. The company has also become heavily engaged in the design and manufacture of fabrics and yarns containing the unique superabsorbent fibre. These are manufactured in-house and via a network of global converters.
A dedicated product development team to take Super Absorbent Fibre (SAF™) fabrics range to the next level is at the heart of the business growth strategy. By undertaking a mixture of proactive R&D, collaborative research projects with customers and bespoke, application specific innovations this talented product development team has successfully launched a host of new products into a vast spectrum of global companies.
This team, and the successful Product Development Director are critical to the business's continued growth, which has increased through 2020 despite the challenges posed by COVID-19.
The Product Development Director will form part of the senior leadership team and report directly to the General Manager. Building on the skills and industry connections of the current team you will identify opportunities to further develop TAL's world beating SAF™ fabrics technology while implementing market leading and innovative product development approaches and systems.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Providing expertise in R&D, product development, asset management and value chain delivery to support business strategy
- Effectively balancing commercial priorities and resource availability to deliver multiple development projects concurrently
- Utilising and growing upon your current experience and knowledge of nonwoven and yarn production technologies to identify areas for further development
- Leading the talented product development team, currently consisting of 4 technical specialists
- Managing key SAF™ fabric customer accounts (existing and potential) and supporting the setting, management and delivery of annual sales budgets and targets
- Supporting the supply chain function with existing product requirements and taking an active role in the introduction of new suppliers where necessary in line with new product development portfolio requirements
- Guiding customers and the wider TAL business through the development and execution of production trials and product certifications.
The Successful Applicant
Operating out of the company's UK Headquarters in Grimsby you will join a committed and supportive team of experts, who are all working together to accelerate growth. Operating as part of the senior leadership team you will have a collaborative and team-centred approach. Acting as the technical face of the business with clients and effectively managing the internal stakeholders you must be able to adapt your communication style to fit your audience.
The successful Product Development Director will demonstrate:
- Significant experience in the leadership of technical, R&D and/or product development teams
- Previous exposure to fabric, yarn or nonwoven production methodologies and products
- A proven track record in leading the development of innovative and commercially successful products through the entire product development lifecycle
- A formal education in a technical discipline, materials science, chemistry, biochemistry is preferred
- Excellent project management skills, preferably backed up by a formal qualification
- Previous experience producing products, preferably incorporating textiles or synthetic materials, into the Medical, Hygiene, Food Packaging or Filtration sectors would be highly desirable
- A thorough understanding of R&D grant applications and tax benefits, along with prior knowledge of Intellectual Property laws and patent applications.
What's on Offer
A competitive starting salary and package with the potential to progress your career within a growing business. Work from a built for purpose manufacturing and production facility which has continued ongoing investment.