Product Safety Engineer
An amazing opportunity to join a Global leader in survival and safety solutions
Excellent Career Development plan within a growing manufacturing company
About Our Client
Survitec is a global leader in survival and safety solutions to the marine, defence, aerospace and energy markets. Throughout its 160 year history, it has remained at the forefront of innovation, design and application engineering and is the trusted name when it comes to critical safety and survival solutions.
Survitec operates through two distinct businesses, for Marine and Aerospace & Defence. Together they have over 3,000 employees worldwide covering 8 manufacturing facilities, 15 offshore support centres and over 70 owned service stations. It is further supported by a network of over 500 3rd party service stations and distributors.
By setting the global standard in critical safety and survival, Survitec protects over one million lives every day.
The business is currently going through an exciting period of positive change, & this opportunity is based in the Defence & Aerospace business.
Reporting to the Safety Manager, the Product Safety Engineer will:
- Review specifications to establish safety requirements for the project in question
- Conduct (including facilitation of) Hazard Identification activities (e.g. FFA, SWIFT) from the earliest stage in the product life cycle to identify hazards and derive safety requirements and criteria
- Maintain project Hazard Logs
- Develop and maintain Project Safety Management Plans
- Develop the safety arguments and document in Safety Assessment Reports, or its equivalent for the project
- Perform a review of safety documentation at periodic intervals
- Conduct safety investigations to establish root cause and resolve safety issues
The Product Safety Engineer shall be responsible for:
- Facilitating and chairing Hazard Identification workshops and other safety related forums
- Conducting HAZID/HAZAN, FMECA, FFA.
- Preparing Safety Assessments and documenting in Safety Assessment Reports
- Developing Project Safety Management Plans
- Developing and maintaining project hazard logs
- Development of ALARP arguments
- Identification of control and mitigation strategies to reduce risk to acceptable levels
- Development of risk acceptance criteria from first principles
- Participate in incident investigations to assess immediate risk, establish root cause and identify control strategies.
- Maintaining safety legislation, regulation and standards register
- Contribute to the development of safety processes and procedures
- Act as safety SME in design maturity gate reviews, review of ECRs, DASORs, Customer Complaints, etc.
- Contribute to project management activities to determine safety resource requirements to meet critical schedules
- Working with a broad spectrum of internal stakeholders including Design, Materials, Test, Technical Publications, Post Design Services, Project Management, Quality, Health and Safety, Environment to establish and deliver safe products
- Promotion and continuous improvement of the Safety Management System
The Successful Applicant
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of Safety Engineering Principles and the ability to develop Safety documentation.
- Accountability and ownership of safety related artefacts.
- Strong, proven Safety Competence in a design engineering sense.
- Qualified to degree level in an Engineering related subject or equivalent experience (essential)
- Fully familiar with UK, MAA, US and International standards, legislation and regulations; HSWA, Def Stan 00-56, Def Stan 00-970, Mil Std 882E, POSMS, MAA Regulatory Articles (RAs)
- Familiar with ISO12402 (desirable)
- Airworthiness and certification regulations and requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Calm under pressure
- Ability to communicate complex concepts to people at all levels of the organisation from factory floor up to Senior Management Team (including MD & CEO) level.
- Good project management skills
- Self-starter, able to work independently and in a team
- Qualified to postgraduate degree level, ideally in safety related subject (desirable)
- Chartered Engineer status (desirable)
- Working in a safety-related role in the aerospace defence and/or marine defence industry (alternative experience in land defence would be considered) (5+ years)
- Competent practitioner in safety related tools and techniques (e.g. SWIFT, FFA, FMECA)
- Facilitating Hazard Identification workshops
- Applying safety management and engineering principles through life (life cycle management, design maturity gate processes, etc.)
- Writing Safety Management Plans
- Compiling Safety Assessment Reports
- Preparing for and/or minuting of Safety Committees
- BowTie XP software (desirable but not essential)
- Working on Submarines, Aircrew Equipment Assembly (AEA), Survival Equipment, Life Jackets and Buoyancy Aids (desirable)
- Developing and/or delivering safety training (desirable)
What's on Offer
Competitive salary plus benefits.
All 3rd party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page