Legal Services Board regulator for the legal services market
research, data analysis, quantitative, qualitative
About Our Client
The Legal Services Board is an independent body responsible for overseeing the regulation of lawyers in England and Wales. We regulate nine approved regulators, each of which has responsibility for the day-to-day regulation of different types of lawyers. Our goal is to modernise and improve the legal services marketplace by putting the interests of consumers at the heart of the system.
We currently have a vacancy for a research analyst to join our small team. As a regulator we need a comprehensive evidence base to ensure that we develop effective regulatory policy that meets the regulatory objectives in a way that is consistent with the principles of better regulation. We also need evaluation of that evidence if we are to understand the overall impact of the changes to regulation made since the implementation of the Act. For those operating in the regulatory sphere, evaluation is key to understanding whether regulatory policy is achieving the right balance of providing a baseline of consumer protection and promoting competition and wider economic growth.
- Analysis: Analysing complex survey data sets to distil key findings, and communicating these findings to policy colleagues
- Evidence: Working with the research manager to support the commissioning of research projects. The next project scheduled is a survey looking at innovation in legal services, with a survey of legal needs in the following year
- Market intelligence: Working with the research manager to develop a new approach to providing accessible market intelligence for the 2018-2021 period,
- Communication: Working with the research manager to ensure that the research web pages are updated regularly, and improving ease of navigation. Using the back catalogue of LSB research to produce infographics summarising key findings
- Briefing: Drafting policy papers, research summaries, reports and briefings for a range of audiences
The Successful Applicant
- Highly numerate, able to analyse large data sets using Excel and SPSS to distil key themes and trends and present them in an easy to grasp manner
- Strong analytical skills, able to apply statistical techniques in interpreting and representing data findings
- Excellent communication skills, experienced report writer and presenter
- Experience of working on own and in multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to build a network of contacts at regulators and representative teams, and negotiate access to sensitive data in a timely way
- The ability to problem solve and think creatively, through identifying ways to navigate around gaps in information
- Strong team player with good interpersonal skills to support engagement at all levels of LSB colleagues
- Flexibility to work across both specialist research and more general policy projects, with ability and willingness to adapt to changing priorities.
What's on Offer
£31,000 - £42,000 PA DOE plus excellent benefits.